Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net> on 2009/07/21 16:19:57 UTC

Stomp Future

Hi,

While thinking about the future of Stomp protocol, we concluded that the
best place for future maintenance of the specification is under umbrella of
ActiveMQ project. There are a couple reasons for this, but it basically
boils down to two facts:

    * Apache infrastructure is much better suited for this task than the one
currently used at Codehaus
    * Most of the Stomp contributors are also ActiveMQ committers, so this
transition feels natural in this respect.

As a starting point, we created an ActiveMQ sub-project (
http://activemq.apache.org/stomp/) which will be the home of the all future
work on the protocol. At the moment, we only ported information related to
Stomp version 1.0 (specification and related articles) to this new project.
Soon, we’ll start working on protocol specification version 1.1, using the
current idea pool (http://stomp.codehaus.org/Stomp+v1.1+Ideas) as a base.

The whole documentation for the project is created using Webgen, so it
consists of Markdown pages stored in an appropriate SVN repository (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/stomp/trunk/) (for example, Stomp
1.0 specification is located in here -
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/stomp/trunk/webgen/src/stomp10/specification.page).
You can also use Jira (https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/STOMP) to
file any tasks, issues and requests for the specification related work. So
please feel free to contribute :)

This project is not meant to contain any Stomp clients, but only to be a
home of the Stomp specification. This doesn’t mean that we don’t think about
how to provide the better infrastructure to Stomp clients developers. But
that is the topic for another discussion and you can expect more news
regarding that soon.

P.S. There's also an online version of this text (
http://www.nighttale.net/stomp/stomp-future.html), if you need to reference
it for any reason.

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Re: [stomp-dev] Stomp Future

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Great! - I'd be very happy to see STOMP moving home!

On 21 Jul 2009, at 15:19, Dejan Bosanac wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While thinking about the future of Stomp protocol, we concluded that
> the best place for future maintenance of the specification is under
> umbrella of ActiveMQ project. There are a couple reasons for this,
> but it basically boils down to two facts:
>
>     * Apache infrastructure is much better suited for this task than
> the one currently used at Codehaus
>     * Most of the Stomp contributors are also ActiveMQ committers,
> so this transition feels natural in this respect.
>
> As a starting point, we created an ActiveMQ sub-project (http://activemq.apache.org/stomp/
> ) which will be the home of the all future work on the protocol. At
> the moment, we only ported information related to Stomp version 1.0
> (specification and related articles) to this new project. Soon,
> we’ll start working on protocol specification version 1.1, using the
> current idea pool (http://stomp.codehaus.org/Stomp+v1.1+Ideas) as a
> base.
>
> The whole documentation for the project is created using Webgen, so
> it consists of Markdown pages stored in an appropriate SVN
> repository (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/stomp/trunk/)
> (for example, Stomp 1.0 specification is located in here - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/stomp/trunk/webgen/src/stomp10/specification.page)
> . You can also use Jira (https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/STOMP
> ) to file any tasks, issues and requests for the specification
> related work. So please feel free to contribute :)
>
> This project is not meant to contain any Stomp clients, but only to
> be a home of the Stomp specification. This doesn’t mean that we
> don’t think about how to provide the better infrastructure to Stomp
> clients developers. But that is the topic for another discussion and
> you can expect more news regarding that soon.
>
> P.S. There's also an online version of this text (http://www.nighttale.net/stomp/stomp-future.html
> ), if you need to reference it for any reason.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Dejan Bosanac

> Blog - http://www.nighttale.net