Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/10/17 06:37:41 UTC

DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Fellow developers,

I had started some voting both on accepting some code to support DOM Level
3 APIs from the Apache Xerces team into Xalan-J. I had also started a vote
on having a new Apache Xalan release, 2.7.1.  All voting was on the
"pmc@project"  ( pmc = Project Management Committee)  mailing list, since
the PMC has the ultimate vote on such issues.

A fellow PMC member has made me aware that the various PMC mailing lists
are now "private@project" and the old "pmc@project" lists are just aliases
to "private", and the "private" is for issues that cannot or should not be
discussed in public, such as security problems, or discussions that require
confidentiality.

Be assured that DOM Level 3 APIs and a new release are not issues that
Xalan wishes to hide from the public.  I was thinking "pmc" rather than
"private".

So before I put these to a vote (among the PMC members on *this* xalan-dev
mailing list), I'm going to open up the discussion.

The Apache Xerces project would like to use the serializer that is in Xalan
and deprecate their own serializer.  This has already been discussed on the
Xerces mailing lists. The biggest problem with this is that the Xalan
serializer does not support the DOM Level 3 APIs. Xerces would like to
donate some code to Xalan to make that happen and start using the Xalan
serializer.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm hoping that this will work out.

The second point of discussion is much more brief. Xalan 2.7.0 was released
on Aug 8, 2005, and I think it is high time to put out 2.7.1, hopefully
with the DOM Level 3 support.  Any thoughts on Xalan 2.7.1?

- Brian

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Brian,

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 03:50:31 PM:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Is there a bit of chicken and egg issue here?  Are you suggesting a
2.8.2
> release of Xerces shortly before Xalan 2.7.1 and that 2.8.2 would
include a
> copy of the serializer inside of Xalan with the DOM Level 3 APIs?

That's exactly what I'm suggesting; having a Xerces release at the point
where the serializer code for Xalan 2.7.1 is frozen, perhaps a day or two
before the Xalan release. If Xalan 2.7.1 gets released with Xerces 2.8.1
someone using DOM Level 3 will get an instance of the old Xerces
serializer. Without splitting the Xalan serializer out into its own
separately released sub-project can you think of some other way this can
be done?

> FYI, I'm thinking that a Xalan 2.7.1 release could come out in late
> November.  How would that work for Xerces?

I think that should be fine.

> - Brian
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Brian Minchau

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Brian,

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 03:50:31 PM:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Is there a bit of chicken and egg issue here?  Are you suggesting a
2.8.2
> release of Xerces shortly before Xalan 2.7.1 and that 2.8.2 would
include a
> copy of the serializer inside of Xalan with the DOM Level 3 APIs?

That's exactly what I'm suggesting; having a Xerces release at the point
where the serializer code for Xalan 2.7.1 is frozen, perhaps a day or two
before the Xalan release. If Xalan 2.7.1 gets released with Xerces 2.8.1
someone using DOM Level 3 will get an instance of the old Xerces
serializer. Without splitting the Xalan serializer out into its own
separately released sub-project can you think of some other way this can
be done?

> FYI, I'm thinking that a Xalan 2.7.1 release could come out in late
> November.  How would that work for Xerces?

I think that should be fine.

> - Brian
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Brian Minchau

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Michael,

Is there a bit of chicken and egg issue here?  Are you suggesting a 2.8.2
release of Xerces shortly before Xalan 2.7.1 and that 2.8.2 would include a
copy of the serializer inside of Xalan with the DOM Level 3 APIs?

FYI, I'm thinking that a Xalan 2.7.1 release could come out in late
November.  How would that work for Xerces?

- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau

             Michael
             Glavassevich/Toro
             nto/IBM@IBMCA                                              To
                                       j-dev@xerces.apache.org
             10/17/2006 01:17                                           cc
             PM                        xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J
             Please respond to         and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)
             j-dev@xerces.apac
                  he.org

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 12:37:41 AM:

<snip/>

> The Apache Xerces project would like to use the serializer that is in
Xalan
> and deprecate their own serializer.  This has already been discussed on
the
> Xerces mailing lists. The biggest problem with this is that the Xalan
> serializer does not support the DOM Level 3 APIs. Xerces would like to
> donate some code to Xalan to make that happen and start using the Xalan
> serializer.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm hoping that this will work out.
>
> The second point of discussion is much more brief. Xalan 2.7.0 was
released
> on Aug 8, 2005, and I think it is high time to put out 2.7.1, hopefully
> with the DOM Level 3 support.

I believe Neil has been making progress on the DOM L3 work. It would be
great if this could make it into Xalan 2.7.1. There are a few changes
which would need to be made to the Xerces source to hook in the new
serializer so once the code is in place (and frozen) in Xalan we should
probably push out a Xerces 2.8.2 (maybe 2.9? if we're deprecating the old
Xerces serializer) shortly before Xalan 2.7.1.

> Any thoughts on Xalan 2.7.1?
>
> - Brian

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Michael,

Is there a bit of chicken and egg issue here?  Are you suggesting a 2.8.2
release of Xerces shortly before Xalan 2.7.1 and that 2.8.2 would include a
copy of the serializer inside of Xalan with the DOM Level 3 APIs?

FYI, I'm thinking that a Xalan 2.7.1 release could come out in late
November.  How would that work for Xerces?

- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau

             Michael
             Glavassevich/Toro
             nto/IBM@IBMCA                                              To
                                       j-dev@xerces.apache.org
             10/17/2006 01:17                                           cc
             PM                        xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J
             Please respond to         and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)
             j-dev@xerces.apac
                  he.org

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 12:37:41 AM:

<snip/>

> The Apache Xerces project would like to use the serializer that is in
Xalan
> and deprecate their own serializer.  This has already been discussed on
the
> Xerces mailing lists. The biggest problem with this is that the Xalan
> serializer does not support the DOM Level 3 APIs. Xerces would like to
> donate some code to Xalan to make that happen and start using the Xalan
> serializer.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm hoping that this will work out.
>
> The second point of discussion is much more brief. Xalan 2.7.0 was
released
> on Aug 8, 2005, and I think it is high time to put out 2.7.1, hopefully
> with the DOM Level 3 support.

I believe Neil has been making progress on the DOM L3 work. It would be
great if this could make it into Xalan 2.7.1. There are a few changes
which would need to be made to the Xerces source to hook in the new
serializer so once the code is in place (and frozen) in Xalan we should
probably push out a Xerces 2.8.2 (maybe 2.9? if we're deprecating the old
Xerces serializer) shortly before Xalan 2.7.1.

> Any thoughts on Xalan 2.7.1?
>
> - Brian

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 12:37:41 AM:

<snip/>

> The Apache Xerces project would like to use the serializer that is in
Xalan
> and deprecate their own serializer.  This has already been discussed on
the
> Xerces mailing lists. The biggest problem with this is that the Xalan
> serializer does not support the DOM Level 3 APIs. Xerces would like to
> donate some code to Xalan to make that happen and start using the Xalan
> serializer.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm hoping that this will work out.
>
> The second point of discussion is much more brief. Xalan 2.7.0 was
released
> on Aug 8, 2005, and I think it is high time to put out 2.7.1, hopefully
> with the DOM Level 3 support.

I believe Neil has been making progress on the DOM L3 work. It would be
great if this could make it into Xalan 2.7.1. There are a few changes
which would need to be made to the Xerces source to hook in the new
serializer so once the code is in place (and frozen) in Xalan we should
probably push out a Xerces 2.8.2 (maybe 2.9? if we're deprecating the old
Xerces serializer) shortly before Xalan 2.7.1.

> Any thoughts on Xalan 2.7.1?
>
> - Brian

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 APIs for Xalan-J and a new Xalan release (2.7.1)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 10/17/2006 12:37:41 AM:

<snip/>

> The Apache Xerces project would like to use the serializer that is in
Xalan
> and deprecate their own serializer.  This has already been discussed on
the
> Xerces mailing lists. The biggest problem with this is that the Xalan
> serializer does not support the DOM Level 3 APIs. Xerces would like to
> donate some code to Xalan to make that happen and start using the Xalan
> serializer.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm hoping that this will work out.
>
> The second point of discussion is much more brief. Xalan 2.7.0 was
released
> on Aug 8, 2005, and I think it is high time to put out 2.7.1, hopefully
> with the DOM Level 3 support.

I believe Neil has been making progress on the DOM L3 work. It would be
great if this could make it into Xalan 2.7.1. There are a few changes
which would need to be made to the Xerces source to hook in the new
serializer so once the code is in place (and frozen) in Xalan we should
probably push out a Xerces 2.8.2 (maybe 2.9? if we're deprecating the old
Xerces serializer) shortly before Xalan 2.7.1.

> Any thoughts on Xalan 2.7.1?
>
> - Brian

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich