Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/06 20:11:08 UTC

[reporter.apache.org] Using SVN to record current deployed code

The reporter.apache.org code on disk has diverged from the copy in SVN.
There are several files that are not in SVN, and there a several
differences from the ones that are.

One approach to this might be to copy  the current sources into SVN
into a new folder.
Then we can look at merging the current code and redeploying.

I was thinking of using an SVN tag for the deployed source, but the
SVN directory for reporter.a.o does not use tags/trunk. I could use a
new directory name like

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org-ondisk

but this is not the normal way to use SVN, and might prove confusing later.

So I would like to start by moving the current code under

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org/trunk
(i.e. drop it down a level)
and then use tags/disk-2015-07-06 (or whatever) to record the current setup

Note that the generated data files (*.json) don't need to be stored in SVN.

Thoughts?

Re: [reporter.apache.org] Using SVN to record current deployed code

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
To followup:

I created the following under
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org

trunk
- all existing SVN files, i.e. moved them down one level

tags/as-deployed-2015-07-07
- copy of the on disk static files

branches/deployed
- initially created as a copy of tags/as-deployed-2015-07-07
  the intention is to gradually merge changes into branches/deployed
as there have been lots of (so far untested) changes

The files on disk are now checked out from branches/deployed

I kept a copy of the original files under

/var/www/reporter.apache.org-save

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 July 2015 at 19:16, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think the content on disk should reflect what's in SCM.

Well yes, but that's not what I'm asking.
I want to get agreement on the proposed layout.

> However,
> would it make sense to move to git instead of SVN instead of moving to
> trunk subdir?

One thing at a time please.

Moving to Git would be a lot more work.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I think the content on disk should reflect what's in SCM. However,
would it make sense to move to git instead of SVN instead of moving to
trunk subdir?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 2:11 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reporter.apache.org code on disk has diverged from the copy in SVN.
> There are several files that are not in SVN, and there a several
> differences from the ones that are.
>
> One approach to this might be to copy  the current sources into SVN
> into a new folder.
> Then we can look at merging the current code and redeploying.
>
> I was thinking of using an SVN tag for the deployed source, but the
> SVN directory for reporter.a.o does not use tags/trunk. I could use a
> new directory name like
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org-ondisk
>
> but this is not the normal way to use SVN, and might prove confusing later.
>
> So I would like to start by moving the current code under
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org/trunk
> (i.e. drop it down a level)
> and then use tags/disk-2015-07-06 (or whatever) to record the current setup
>
> Note that the generated data files (*.json) don't need to be stored in SVN.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [reporter.apache.org] Using SVN to record current deployed code

Posted by an...@gmx.de.
Sounds good.

Sent from my android device.