Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by John <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/05 18:17:29 UTC

only one map or reduce job per time on one node

hi,

I have a cluster of 7 nodes. Every node has 2 maps-lots and 1 reduce slot.
Is it possible to force the jobtracker executing only 2 map jobs or 1
reduce job per time? I have found this configuration option:
"mapred.reduce.slowstart.completed.maps". I think this will do exactly what
I want If I set it to 1.0 if there is only one mapreduce job per time. But
whenn there are 2 jobs I think it doesn't work because if the second job is
finished with the map part it will maybe execute a reduce job on node where
still the first job is running. Or am I wrong? Is there a way to allow
executing reduce jobs only if there is no map reduce job on this node?

kind regards

Re: only one map or reduce job per time on one node

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
John,

Why don't you use 1 mapper and 1 reducer?

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
I suspect that the reason no-one is responding with good answers is that
fundamentally, it seems like what you are trying to do runs against the
reason Hadoop is designed the way it is. A parallel process framework is
defeated if you force it to not work concurrently...

Maybe you should look into Oozie, and set a workflow that runs your map
task as a map-only job, and then do the calculation that the reducer would
do in a different program?

There is a Hadoop parameter that allows for task JVM reuse that might solve
your problem also.

Or, add a combiner to your mr job if there is not one already, and then try
dropping the maximum heap sizes of the respective slots?

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Why do you want to do this?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: only one map or reduce job per time on one node

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Why do you want to do this?

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
John,