Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ken M. Mevand" <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/13 05:54:36 UTC

Caching of Classes

hi,

this question has probably been asked a lot, but i can't seem to find the
answer.

how do i get tomcat to reload the classes without restarting it?    my
classes are stored in /WEB-INF/classes and compiled manually by javac.

thanks for the patience, i'm very new to tomcat.

-ken

Re: Caching of Classes

Posted by Bo Xu <bo...@cybershop.ca>.
> this question has probably been asked a lot, but i can't seem to find the
> answer.
>
> how do i get tomcat to reload the classes without restarting it?    my
> classes are stored in /WEB-INF/classes and compiled manually by javac.
>
> thanks for the patience, i'm very new to tomcat.
>

> -ken
>[...]

with TC4.0, one way is use the "manager" mentioned in another email,
the doc is here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/index.html
in "Administrators", there are several "HOW-TO", click Manager App
HOW-TO:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/manager-howto.html

another way is "auto-reloading", for ex., in conf/server.xml,  in the
"context defination/declarition" for the webapp named "examples":
        <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true">
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
then if the old-version of MyServlet has already been invoked, and you
updated
its class(a file), then after a while, MyServlet will be reloaded, and its
init(...)
method will be invoked again automaticaly(by container)

Bo
Nov.13, 2001

Re: Filters in Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Are you running on a Windows platform?  If so, you need to remember that
output to the log files is buffered until they are closed.

Craig

Filters in Tomcat

Re: Caching of Classes

Posted by BacardiWasabi <se...@yahoo.com>.
try this..

for context - attribute
reloadable Set this attribute to true if you wish to
have Catalina check the classes in WEB-INF/classes and
WEB-INF/lib for modification, and automatically reload
this application if a change is detected. This feature
is very useful during development; however, it
requires significant runtime overhead so it is not
recommended for production deployment scenarios.