Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2011/12/11 15:01:22 UTC

Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Now that apu-1.4.1 is close to release, it looks like we are
close to being able to have our 1st RC for 2.4.0...

My plan is to T&R sometime this week...

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 12/15/2011 8:23 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2011, at 3:02 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/2011 6:09 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's talk about the specifics of carrying this out... the
>>> main issues is how we tag and roll this. Recall that we don't
>>> have any "real" concept of Release Candidates.
>>
>> I like it that way, and see no reason to change, especially not now
>> that we are approaching such a significant milestone.  If 2.4.0 didn't
>> work, burn it and move on to 2.4.1.  We certainly can call 2.4.0 an
>> alpha, beta or GA release.
>>
>> -0.9 on adopting an RC approach.  We do this for our day jobs.  That
>> isn't the point of ASF methodology.
>
> So to make sure I'm clear, what is your recommendation? Another
> beta or just drop 2.4.0?

Either/both.  My point was that 2.4.0 can follow the usual voting pattern
of Cast your vote that 2.4.0 is [ ] Alpha [ ] Beta [ ] GA.  We don't need
five RC's of 2.4.0 before a real 2.4.0.  If there are 2.4.0 - .4 which all
amount to alpha/beta approval before 2.4.5 is GA, there is nothing wrong
with continuing in our usual pattern.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 14.12.2011 13:09, schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Okey dokey...
>
> Let's talk about the specifics of carrying this out... the
> main issues is how we tag and roll this. Recall that we don't
> have any "real" concept of Release Candidates.
maybe time to add one? ;-)

> I'm assuming we can simply tag as 2.4.0-RC1 but what about
> the MMN and the below:
>
>    #define AP_SERVER_MAJORVERSION_NUMBER 2
>    #define AP_SERVER_MINORVERSION_NUMBER 4
>    #define AP_SERVER_PATCHLEVEL_NUMBER   0
>    #define AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN    1
>
>    /* Synchronize the above with docs/manual/style/version.ent */
>
>    #if AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN
>    #define AP_SERVER_ADD_STRING          "-dev"
>    #else
>    #define AP_SERVER_ADD_STRING          ""
>    #endif
>
> I propose that for the RCs, we keep AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN as
> '1'... When we go for GA, we then, and only then, change to '0'
> and retag as 2.4.0.
>
> OK?

what about changing the above to:
     #if AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN && !defined(AP_SERVER_ADD_STRING)
and then adding a line in configure to add -DAP_SERVER_ADD_STRING="-rc1"
?
this way the server would carry out the -rc1 and it would be possible to
differ between rc1, rc2, ... (and btw. other add strings like svn
revisions -r123456789 would then also be easily possible ...)

Gün.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Dec 11, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Now that apu-1.4.1 is close to release, it looks like we are
> close to being able to have our 1st RC for 2.4.0...
>
> My plan is to T&R sometime this week...

+1, let's do it.

S.

PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability: http://tungle.me/sctemme

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 12, 2011, at 4:23 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM, zhiguo zhao <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> mod_lua document is not match with source code.
>> A lot of instruction removed or added.
>
> I don't personally see this as a release blocker. The doc says it's
> experimental, and what's there largely works (AFAIK)
>
> Specific shortcomings in bugzilla would be helpful.

+1… As RM I don't consider this a blocker.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by zhiguo zhao <zh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by zhiguo zhao <zh...@gmail.com>.
-1

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Sunday 11 December 2011, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2011, at 15:01, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
> > Now that apu-1.4.1 is close to release, it looks like we are
> > close to being able to have our 1st RC for 2.4.0...
> >
> > My plan is to T&R sometime this week...
>
> +1.

BTW, is there any reason why r1210261 (mod_slotmem_shm conf syntax)
has not been backported yet?

Apart from that, +1.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: Time for httpd 2.4.0-RC1 ??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
This will be done tomorrow: Thurs 12/15.