Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/22 20:26:23 UTC

[Installer] 4.13 install failed

Time to update the MD5 checksum for playerglobal?

Here is the log:

Version 3.1.0 (windows)
Using Locale: en_US
Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
AIR version 14.0b
Flash Player version 14.0b
Creating Apache Flex home
Creating temporary directory
Downloading Apache Flex SDK from:
http://apache.mirrors.lucidnetworks.net/flex/4.13.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.13.0-bin.zip
Verifying Apache Flex SDK MD5 Signature
The Apache Flex SDK MD5 Signature of the downloaded files matches the
reference. The file is valid.
Uncompressing: C:\temp\4.13_AIR14Beta\temp\apache-flex-sdk-4.13.0-bin.zip
Finished uncompressing:
C:\temp\4.13_AIR14Beta\temp\apache-flex-sdk-4.13.0-bin.zip
Downloading Adobe AIR Runtime Kit for Windows from:
http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air//air14_sdk_sa_win.zip
Finished uncompressing: C:\temp\4.13_AIR14Beta/in/air14_sdk_sa_win.zip
Installing Adobe Flash Player playerglobal.swc from:
http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/flashplayer//flashplayer14_playerglobal.swc
Validating download:
C:\temp\4.13_AIR14Beta/frameworks/libs/player/14.0/playerglobal.swc
Flash SDK download failed

Re: [Installer] 4.13 install failed

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> Wouldn't it be better to treat this as a non fatal error? ie just warn the
> user to what the issue may be but et them continue?

If the MD5 check is being used for caching purposes, it makes sense.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> Updated MD5 and published - should be good now (unless the config fie is
> cached?)

Config file does not get cached.  I will try again.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Tried again and it failed again.   The downloaded swc has an MD5 checksum
> > the same as my previous download.
> I'm now getting the same MD5 as you now - perhaps it was cached by the
> browser? I've updated and published. Try once more.

Okay, that worked.  I think we are good for now.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If we disable checking we'll get less useful results for folks who actually do get a bad download.

Justin only updated 14 beta. Is that what you are using?
Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> And I was able to reproduce the issue it with caching turned off. Just
> seeing if the change to the MD5 fixed it
>
> This does mean however than you can never get the newer version into the
> cache so have the option of either using the old version forever or turning
> off all caching. Unless you manually alter the cache I guess.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Tried again and it failed again.   The downloaded swc has an MD5 checksum
the same as my previous download.

We should probably disable the checks.  This could affect a lot of people.

Om

Re: [Installer] 4.13 install failed

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I tried it again (4.13, FP 14.0.xxx Beta) and same issue with
playerglobal.swc download.

I dont see a folder for 14 under <cachedirectory>\Local
Store\pub\labs\flashruntimes\flashplayer.  So, I dont think it is a caching
related issue.

I am able to open the newly downloaded playerglobal.swc as an archive
file.  So, definitely not a bad download.

MD5 hash from installer config: 0bae2abfe34eed7d718eda123ec9e786
MD5 has of downloaded file    : D0F7AEA7B606C4DD3A2A23FF5CFA1AFF

So, it is most likely an issue caused by a new MD5 hash for an updated
playerglobal.swc

Justin, can you confirm if you get the same hash for
frameworks\libs\player\14.0\playerglobal.swc?  If so, we can just update
the installer config.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 23/07/14 00:10, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> I don't think we should be in the business of
> verifying downloads from external servers.
I think we have to. Otherwise there's no way to know the users
connection isn't broken, until later on when an unzip fails and the
whole thing explodes in a horrible mess :-)

Fail early is better.

Tom

Re: [Installer] 4.13 install failed

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Ant and ant on air. Linux folks still download stuff.

It isn't just adobe stuff, we download from github as well.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/22/14 4:10 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> changes.
> >>
> >> Probably not the best idea IMO. If Jenkins get it wrong we break the
> >> installer for everyone. The downloads have never failed for Jenkins
> >>before
> >> right? :-)
> >>

> >That is exactly my concern.  I don't think we should be in the business of
> >verifying downloads from external servers.
>
> Makes sense, but the fact is the current situation is that we are trying
> to get Ant to fail gracefully (instead of just throwing an exception) when
> it tries to unzip a bad download for which there is no MD5 to check
> against, and the bits get updated periodically.

Ant ant or ant_for_air?  If it is ant_for_air, I imagine we can just listen
to exceptions and react accordingly, right?

> I'm open to other ideas.

Any chance you can get the Flash Player team to upload MD5 checksums for
the artifacts they upload?  It should not be a very hard thing to do for
them.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/22/14 4:10 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > That's why I asked about some sort of Jenkins job that could catch
>> changes.
>>
>> Probably not the best idea IMO. If Jenkins get it wrong we break the
>> installer for everyone. The downloads have never failed for Jenkins
>>before
>> right? :-)
>>

>That is exactly my concern.  I don't think we should be in the business of
>verifying downloads from external servers.

Makes sense, but the fact is the current situation is that we are trying
to get Ant to fail gracefully (instead of just throwing an exception) when
it tries to unzip a bad download for which there is no MD5 to check
against, and the bits get updated periodically.  I'm open to other ideas.

-Alex

Re: [Installer] 4.13 install failed

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Could download more than once

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Download it, compute the sum, update sdk installer config.
Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can you tell me the steps? I can give it a shot.

Thanks
Om

Yes, looks like it changed again. I won't be able to do it until this evening.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
When found in cache the file is not check summed.
Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

Just tried to reproduce and was unable to (for 4.13.0 with FP14 and also with FP14 beta) - so either there an issue with caching (ie it's using the cached version) or you got a bad download.

Justin

Re: [Installer] 4.13 install failed

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
That should also be in sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml.  I may not have time
to update it right now.

What do you think of the idea of making a fork of GCL's GH repo so we have
stability?

-Alex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.