Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org> on 1997/07/15 18:29:11 UTC

Re: PR#833, mod_perl, IRIX, and CC macro

coar@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size) wrote:

>     PR#833 indicates that mod_perl on IRIX tweaks the CC macro in order
>     to get all of Apache compiled with the same flags.
>
>     Who's the mod_perl maven these days?  Doug?  I don't use mod_perl (I
>     know, Rob, I probably should ;-) - is there any way it can be made
>     to frob the EXTRA_CFLAGS macro instead of CC?  That's the *correct*
>     fix.
>
>     The no-impact workaround (just committed) is to quote the
>     substitution of the CC macro when it's being passed to something;
>     changes in Makefile.tmpl and Configure of the form "CC=$(CC)" ->
>     "CC='$(CC)'.  Just in case mod_perl *can't* do The Right Thing.
>     It's a popular enough module that I think giving it this much of a
>     nod is justified.

The problem is Perl's Configure/Config.pm stores $Config{'cc'} as
something like "cc -n32" and mod_perl makes sure httpd is built with
$Config{'cc'} so all Perl-ish things are happy.  I could have
Makefile.PL chop it up, but that would be messy.  CC='$(CC)' would be
the simplest workaround, it can't hurt any can it?

-Doug