Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Naresh Agarwal <na...@rediffmail.com> on 2004/01/03 12:22:36 UTC

struts vs. portal framework

Hi

I'm new to the world of web application/portals.

What is the difference between struts and a portal framework like jetspeed?

thanks,
Naresh

Re: struts vs. portal framework

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
IMHO, Jetspeed isn't a framework per se (or wasn't last time I looked). It's an application that you can customize for your own use. You can write custom components for  Jetspeed to use, but you're really plugging things into Jetspeed, the way you plug things into an IDE, like Eclipse or IDEA. A power user could download Jetspeed and get it up and running without being a Java developer.

Struts is a framework to help Java developers create MVC-style web applications. You use it to give you a leg up on writing applications. A power use couldn't download "Struts" and get it up and running, because Struts isn't something you run. It's something you use to create web applications for people to run.

If you download Jetspeed, and it's pretty much what you want, then that's probably want you want to use. But if it's nothing like what you need, and you need to write a MVC-style web application, the Struts may be what you need.

For more background on the technologies that are used to write web applications, see the preface to the Struts User Guide

<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/preface.html>

and the Struts Community Resource Guide at SourceForge

http://struts.sourceforge.net/community/index.html

Struts does not directly support the new portlet specification at this time, but there is a lot of interest on the DEV in making that happen. We do want to make Struts a very good choice for writing web apps for both the servlet spec and portlet spec, hopefully with zero or near-zero code changes.

HTH, Ted.