Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by SergueiM <ev...@idirect.com> on 2011/11/18 20:57:55 UTC

Message groups interleaving

Hi,

Having multiple message groups producers and multiple async consumers,
would it be correct to anticipate that a single consumer may get the
messages received being interleaved from different groups of messages?

Example:
- msg producer P1 sends a group of 2 msgs: P1.1 and P1.2,
while at the same time
- msg producer P2 sends a group of 2 msgs: P2.1 and P2.2

Is it possible for the very same consumer (an async listener) to actually
receive messages in the order like:
P1.1 - P2.1 - P2.2 - P1.2
that is,
while consumer has already started receiving group of messages, it is still
possible for it to get a message from a different group of messages
in-between?

Thank you.
-
Serguei

Re: Message groups interleaving

Posted by SergueiM <ev...@idirect.com>.
whaley,

Thank you.
No free cheese then for me. As expected but hoped otherwise.

Are there any best practice/advice on how to better deal with such use
cases?
My "such" use case is:
- a message group may contain large (MiB) message(s);
- an admin may want to shutdown the application at any time (while consumer
is still with an incomplete msg group);
- container (the one having JMS consumers) app itself may go down for
whatever other reasons as well.

The only solution I came so far is to use a temp database.
Which means: more code and much slower.

While a better idea would be?

Thank you.