Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/10/28 03:33:51 UTC

site nav

Hey, great job on the new sites for subprojects and the new continuum
logo everyone!

I just noticed that the links on the m1 site don't match the others -
can we sort that out.

I'd like to talk about a big push to move any remaining generic content
up to the top level site (I think there are a few things, like articles,
etc?) and start trimming up the m1 site to be more specific to m1 when I
get back. Anyone have any preliminary thoughts?

- Brett

RE: site nav

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

> > > continuum

> > > the others -
> > >
> > > I think Arnaud and I can sort that out. I will let
> someone else deal
> > > with the m1 site and could use some help there.
> >
> > I'll fix them ASAP manually.
> > But I'm interested to find a solution with Jason to avoid
> to copy links and menu items ...
>
> Maybe overall we can either use the same format of the site
> descriptor and maybe be able to inherit a parent site
> descriptor in the same way the POM does. Or maybe integrate
> the idea of the site map and do it that way. Or we can try to
> wrap the m2 site generation stuff in a Jelly for use in m1.

I think that the process to integrate m2 site generation stuff in m1 will be too long (except if someone else want to work on it).
I'm not sure that we could use an inheritence mechanism because we want to customize it for each site. How to say where we want to
add links, ...

A templating mechanism could be a good solution. It will allow us to extend a given navigation for each site. Commons parts that we
want to share (menu items and links) have the same format in m1 (navigation.xml) and in m2 (site.xml).

We could have something like :
<project name="Maven">
#Begin Header
== Editable
#End
    <links>
      <item name="Apache" href="http://www.apache.org/"/>
      <item name="Maven 1.x" href="http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x"/>
      <item name="Maven 2.x" href="http://maven.apache.org/"/>
      <item name="Continuum" href="http://maven.apache.org/continuum"/>
      <item name="SCM" href="http://maven.apache.org/scm"/>
      <item name="Wagon" href="http://maven.apache.org/wagon"/>
      <item name="JXR" href="http://maven.apache.org/jxr"/>
#Begin Links
== Editable
#End
    </links>

    <menu name="Maven">
<!--
Some commons links
-->
    </menu>

#Begin Menu
== Editable
#End
</project>

But where could we share this sort of template ?

How to do this template ? Velocity ?

Arnaud

RE: site nav

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 23:57 +0100, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> > On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 18:33 -0700, Brett Porter wrote:
> > > Hey, great job on the new sites for subprojects and the new
> > continuum
> > > logo everyone!
> > >
> > > I just noticed that the links on the m1 site don't match
> > the others -
> > > can we sort that out.
> >
> > I think Arnaud and I can sort that out. I will let someone
> > else deal with the m1 site and could use some help there.
>
> I'll fix them ASAP manually.
> But I'm interested to find a solution with Jason to avoid to copy links and menu items ...

Maybe overall we can either use the same format of the site descriptor
and maybe be able to inherit a parent site descriptor in the same way
the POM does. Or maybe integrate the idea of the site map and do it that
way. Or we can try to wrap the m2 site generation stuff in a Jelly for
use in m1.

> > > I'd like to talk about a big push to move any remaining generic
> > > content up to the top level site (I think there are a few
> > things, like
> > > articles,
> > > etc?) and start trimming up the m1 site to be more specific
> > to m1 when
> > > I get back. Anyone have any preliminary thoughts?
> >
> > I've tried to move everything up to the top level site, if I
> > missed anything it was an oversight. One thing that needs to
> > be done is making the general content more visible.
>
> I'll take a look at which pages are duplicated in m1 and m2 and i'll remove them from m1 site ..

Cool, thanks.

> Arnaud

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

RE: site nav

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: site nav

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 18:33 -0700, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hey, great job on the new sites for subprojects and the new continuum
> logo everyone!
>
> I just noticed that the links on the m1 site don't match the others -
> can we sort that out.

I think Arnaud and I can sort that out. I will let someone else deal
with the m1 site and could use some help there.

> I'd like to talk about a big push to move any remaining generic content
> up to the top level site (I think there are a few things, like articles,
> etc?) and start trimming up the m1 site to be more specific to m1 when I
> get back. Anyone have any preliminary thoughts?

I've tried to move everything up to the top level site, if I missed
anything it was an oversight. One thing that needs to be done is making
the general content more visible.

> - Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

 -- Buddha

RE: site nav

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

> > I didn't find articles in m2 site ? Is it already published ?
>
> http://maven.apache.org/articles.html
>
> But they weren't linked in. I'll link them into the
> documentation page for now and deploy the site again.

Ok, it's why I didn't find it.
I didn't take a look at the docs in SVN.
I'll do it before to remove duplicated pages in m1.

Arnaud

RE: site nav

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 23:53 +0100, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Ok.
> Breadcrumbs aren't supported in m2 ?
> I find this very useful to navigate in the site ?
> Is it planned to support them ?

They aren't currently there, but I agree that they are useful.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-991

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

RE: site nav

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 07:39 +0200, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
> > +1 for me.
> >
> > I think I don't have the needed rights to begin to move
> some docs from
> > m1 to m2 but if you need my help for something else .. Let me know.
>
> I think having access to move the doco around would be fine.
> How about we give access to Arnaud so we can do a final transition?
>
> +1

+1 :-)

> > For the links in m1 I can use the same as in m2 but :
> > - I would like to keep the access to the pdf documentation
> (where can
> > we place it?)
> > - I often use the quick link to maven plugins. It will be
> annoying (for me) to loose it.
>
> I think you know the m1 stuff better then anyone so whatever
> you feel is best.

Ok.
Breadcrumbs aren't supported in m2 ?
I find this very useful to navigate in the site ?
Is it planned to support them ?

> I have tried to move everything over but there may be things
> that I've missed. The articles, conventions and the rest of
> the general content I did tried to move over but the
> navigation could be improved to help with it.

I didn't find articles in m2 site ? Is it already published ?

> I've also chatted with Vincent about making the documentation
> easier to navigate and I would like the same format to carry
> over in all the
> sites:
>
> o the links
> o format and structure of the right nav
> o easy to navigate documentation page
> o standard for linking documents together (for example in
> guides where the settings are referenced a link back to the
> modello documentation)
>
> All of this begs the question, how do you share this stuff
> across many sites? I'm now cutting and pasting things like
> bits and pieces out of the site.xml. Maybe using Velocity for
> this file as well and using #macros to share the common content.

I'm agree to unify documentations between m1 and m2
I have the same problem, and I did a lot of cut&paste ( :-( very annoying) to reproduce the navigation...
Using velocity could be a good idea.

> At any rate if you would like to work together that would be
> great, I think the site and documentation should be one of
> our highest priorities as it eases our burden on the mailing
> list by being able to answer questions by providing a set of URLs.

Ok for me.
With good documentations we'll spend more time on the code instead to reply on the mailing list...

Arnaud

RE: site nav

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 07:39 +0200, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
> +1 for me.
>
> I think I don't have the needed rights to begin to move some docs from m1 to m2 but if you need my help for something else .. Let me
> know.

I think having access to move the doco around would be fine. How about
we give access to Arnaud so we can do a final transition?

+1

> For the links in m1 I can use the same as in m2 but :
> - I would like to keep the access to the pdf documentation (where can we place it?)
> - I often use the quick link to maven plugins. It will be annoying (for me) to loose it.

I think you know the m1 stuff better then anyone so whatever you feel is
best.

I have tried to move everything over but there may be things that I've
missed. The articles, conventions and the rest of the general content I
did tried to move over but the navigation could be improved to help with
it.

I've also chatted with Vincent about making the documentation easier to
navigate and I would like the same format to carry over in all the
sites:

o the links
o format and structure of the right nav
o easy to navigate documentation page
o standard for linking documents together (for example in guides where
the settings are referenced a link back to the modello documentation)

All of this begs the question, how do you share this stuff across many
sites? I'm now cutting and pasting things like bits and pieces out of
the site.xml. Maybe using Velocity for this file as well and using
#macros to share the common content.

At any rate if you would like to work together that would be great, I
think the site and documentation should be one of our highest priorities
as it eases our burden on the mailing list by being able to answer
questions by providing a set of URLs.

> Arnaud

jvz.

Jason van Zyl