Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gw...@apache.org> on 2016/05/24 16:24:50 UTC

[ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the release for Apache
Kafka 0.10.0.0.
This is a major release with exciting new features, including first
release of KafkaStreams and many other improvements.

All of the changes in this release can be found:
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/0.10.0.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Apache Kafka is high-throughput, publish-subscribe messaging system
rethought of as a distributed commit log.

** Fast => A single Kafka broker can handle hundreds of megabytes of reads
and
writes per second from thousands of clients.

** Scalable => Kafka is designed to allow a single cluster to serve as the
central data backbone
for a large organization. It can be elastically and transparently expanded
without downtime.
Data streams are partitioned and spread over a cluster of machines to allow
data streams
larger than the capability of any single machine and to allow clusters of
co-ordinated consumers.

** Durable => Messages are persisted on disk and replicated within the
cluster to prevent
data loss. Each broker can handle terabytes of messages without performance
impact.

** Distributed by Design => Kafka has a modern cluster-centric design that
offers
strong durability and fault-tolerance guarantees.

You can download the source release from
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/0.10.0.0/kafka-0.10.0.0-src.tgz

and binary releases from
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/0.10.0.0/kafka_2.10-0.10.0.0.tgz
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/0.10.0.0/kafka_2.11-0.10.0.0.tgz

A big thank you for the following people who have contributed to the
0.10.0.0 release.

Adam Kunicki, Aditya Auradkar, Alex Loddengaard, Alex Sherwin, Allen
Wang, Andrea Cosentino, Anna Povzner, Ashish Singh, Atul Soman, Ben
Stopford, Bill Bejeck, BINLEI XUE, Chen Shangan, Chen Zhu, Christian
Posta, Cory Kolbeck, Damian Guy, dan norwood, Dana Powers, David
Jacot, Denise Fernandez, Dionysis Grigoropoulos, Dmitry Stratiychuk,
Dong Lin, Dongjoon Hyun, Drausin Wulsin, Duncan Sands, Dustin Cote,
Eamon Zhang, edoardo, Edward Ribeiro, Eno Thereska, Ewen
Cheslack-Postava, Flavio Junqueira, Francois Visconte, Frank Scholten,
Gabriel Zhang, gaob13, Geoff Anderson, glikson, Grant Henke, Greg
Fodor, Guozhang Wang, Gwen Shapira, Igor Stepanov, Ishita Mandhan,
Ismael Juma, Jaikiran Pai, Jakub Nowak, James Cheng, Jason Gustafson,
Jay Kreps, Jeff Klukas, Jeremy Custenborder, Jesse Anderson, jholoman,
Jiangjie Qin, Jin Xing, jinxing, Jonathan Bond, Jun Rao, Ján Koščo,
Kaufman Ng, kenji yoshida, Kim Christensen, Kishore Senji, Konrad,
Liquan Pei, Luciano Afranllie, Magnus Edenhill, Maksim Logvinenko,
manasvigupta, Manikumar reddy O, Mark Grover, Matt Fluet, Matt
McClure, Matthias J. Sax, Mayuresh Gharat, Micah Zoltu, Michael Blume,
Michael G. Noll, Mickael Maison, Onur Karaman, ouyangliduo, Parth
Brahmbhatt, Paul Cavallaro, Pierre-Yves Ritschard, Piotr Szwed,
Praveen Devarao, Rafael Winterhalter, Rajini Sivaram, Randall Hauch,
Richard Whaling, Ryan P, Samuel Julius Hecht, Sasaki Toru, Som Sahu,
Sriharsha Chintalapani, Stig Rohde Døssing, Tao Xiao, Tom Crayford,
Tom Dearman, Tom Graves, Tom Lee, Tomasz Nurkiewicz, Vahid Hashemian,
William Thurston, Xin Wang, Yasuhiro Matsuda, Yifan Ying, Yuto
Kawamura, zhuchen1018

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at
http://kafka.apache.org/

Thanks,

Gwen

Re: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
I had an offline chat with Gwen and the 0.10.0.0-rc6 tag is the right one.
I've updated the 0.10.0.0 tag to be the same:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/0.10.0.0

Ismael

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.
Can I just confirm that

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.
Can I just confirm that

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
Woohoo!!! :-)

Posted by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com>.
Great!!! cheers :)

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

Re: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

Posted by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com>.
Great!!! cheers :)

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

Re: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Gwen,

Thanks for running the release!

Jun

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Re: FW: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
To be fair to Spark, we are encouraging the client integrations to be very
conservative with new releases. Spark with 0.8.x client will work on
0.10.0.0 broker, but not vice-versa. So it doesn't make tons of sense for
Spark to upgrade until there is critical mass of users on the new release.

We are working toward improving the compatibility story in the future.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Maybe ask the spark mailing list ;-)

Congrats on the release! It's pretty amazing!

--
*Christian Posta*
twitter: @christianposta

FW: [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released

From:  Gwen Shapira <gw...@apache.org>
Date:  Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 9:24 AM
To:  <de...@kafka.apache.org>, <an...@apache.org>, <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Subject:  [ANNOUCE] Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 Released