Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ronan McGlue <r....@qub.ac.uk> on 2005/05/16 12:36:48 UTC

when bayes gets poisened

what to do when bayes shows signs of poisoning???
those germal political mails are being flagged at Bayes_00 scores even
though they are still hitting 20+ points.

this one only got 10ish

7.3 points, 5.0 required;
	0.0 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
	0.2 INVALID_DATE           Invalid Date: header (not RFC 2822)
	2.7 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match 'Received'
headers
	-2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
	[score: 0.0000]
	0.1 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 BODY: Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
	[cf: 100]
	1.5 RAZOR2_CHECK           Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
	2.2 DCC_CHECK              Listed in DCC
(http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
	3.1 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
	[217.41.22.166 listed in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]
	0.1 DIGEST_MULTIPLE        Message hits more than one network digest check
	---- End of SpamAssassin results

--
========

Regards

Ronan McGlue
Info. Services
QUB

Re: when bayes gets poisened

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 06:36 AM 5/16/2005, Ronan McGlue wrote:
>
>> what to do when bayes shows signs of poisoning???
>> those germal political mails are being flagged at Bayes_00 scores even
>> though they are still hitting 20+ points.
>

> First, that's not really a sign of poisoning. Poisoning involves a
> deliberate attempt to evade your bayes.
>
> In this case, I doubt you've received much German email that was spam,
> and even if you have probably none of it resembled these messages.
>
> What to do?
>
> Train.
>
> Most of the tokens in these messages are likely to be low-count for the
> average person that doesn't speak german, so it shouldn't take long
> before some sa-learn training will start raising their bayes scores.

Follow-up:

I came in this morning and hand trained 4 of these messages.

They now seem to be getting bayes scores over 80.

Re: when bayes gets poisened

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Re: when bayes gets poisened

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> what to do when bayes shows signs of poisoning???
> those germal political mails are being flagged at Bayes_00 scores even
> though they are still hitting 20+ points.

Zap it and start over.  Probably be working again in a few hours if you have
reasonable mail flow.  A personal site might take a couple days to get the
required 200/200 messages.

        Loren