Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/01 22:31:30 UTC

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Hi,

Bosco, I noticed group level permission works when we set hadoop
permissions to 000. I am just curious why it is so ?

is it always necessary to set hadoop permissions to 000 for ranger to work?

thanks

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Madhan :)

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hafiz,
>
> The policy allows only READ access for user ‘mike’; since WRITE and
> EXECUTE are excluded (from allow), the policy does not make any decision
> for these access-types. Hence Ranger falls back to hadoop-acl to determine
> the authorization.
>
> If you would like to explicitly deny WRITE and EXECUTE access for user
> ‘mike’, please add a deny condition for this. Then you will see that WRITE
> and EXECUTE accesses were denied by Ranger.
>
> Thanks,
> Madhan
>

> From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
> Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM
>
> To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger
>
> Yes Bosco,
> I will write then to wiki on this weekend
>
> Thanks
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bosco!
>> When i run following command
>> HADOOP_USER_NAME=mike hdfs dfs -ls /perm
>>
>> it is showing allowed because of hadoop_ACL, Why it is not because of
>> ranger-acl?
>>
>> - 12/04/2015 01:22:28 AM mike
>> hadoopdev
>> hdfs
>> /perm READ_EXECUTEAllowed hadoop-acl 192.168.23.126 1
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Audit for HADOOP_USER_NAME=mike hdfs dfs -mkdir /perm/m2
>>>

>>> 12/04/2015 01:19:16 AM mike
>>> hadoopdev

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM

To: <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,

I have followed above steps

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes Bosco,

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bosco!

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
That is good news.

I like your representation of the use cases and it’s test results. If I give write access to Ranger wiki, would you be able to put this (with the images) in wiki. I think, it will be very useful for everyone.

Thanks

Bosco

From:  Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM

To:  <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,

I have followed above steps

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

From:  Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM

To:  <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,

I have followed above steps

Posted by Aneela Saleem <an...@platalytics.com>.
Agreed with Bosco

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Hafiz, thanks for testing it.

From:  Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM
To:  <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,

I have followed above steps

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bosco*,*

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bosco,

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,

I have followed above steps

Posted by Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bosco!

--
Regards: HAFIZ MUJADID

Re: Group level permission are not working in ranger

From: Hafiz Mujadid <ha...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:16 AM
To: "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Bosco,