Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> on 2007/12/04 16:29:56 UTC

Wrapping up the Amsterdam Wicket Meetup

Hi all,

Thanks for all your kind words. I did have an excellent time last friday, and I'm very happy to hear everyone else did too.

There were just a couple of things that didn't really work out - like the hackaton for example. Maybe it's because it was the first time, maybe it was because we were running an afternoon/evening show instead of the whole day. I'd like to do that differently next time. Also, I think the programme was quite pressing, given that it was at the end of the week *and* at the end of the day. Next time, I'd like to have some more kick ass demoing on stage just to keep up the vibe. I was exhausted afterwards :)

But it was incredible to have so many people show up and stick around until 11 PM. At the peak, I counted 74 people in the room and given the fact that we had 92 people signed up, I think that was much more than we could've ever wished for. It says something about the community and the project when sending out 2 emails (one to the user list, one to the NLJUG list) is enough to bring together such a crowd.

It also says something about the type of event - low barrier, easy access, and free. Community driven. It makes an excellent addition to the much broader targeted ApacheCon conferences [1], attracting new people to the Apache communities.

I'm looking forward to the next edition :)
What if we just block the same room again around the ApacheCon Europe in April? Not to be an alternative to ApacheCon - rather as an addition. This will give people even more reason to attend the ApacheCon.

Let me know.

Thanks everyone!

-- Arjé Cahn, Hippo

[1] http://www.eu.apachecon.com

RE: Wrapping up the Amsterdam Wicket Meetup

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Arje,

Sounds good.
We are currently supporting only Wicket and do not plan to be involved with
ApacheCon, although I expect that too should be an interesting event.
We will continue to run our monthly  http://jweekend.co.uk/dev/LWUGReg/
London Wicket events  which are currently on a smaller, more local scale
than the European event we have in mind.
Let's bring this up again on the mailing-list in the new year and see what
we can propose based on where people would like to meet up and the logistics
of organising it there. You never know, we may even be able to tempt a few
of the US crew to come along!
In the meantime, do let me know if you have ideas on how we can help make
more people aware of how good Wicket is.

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.co.uk http://jWeekend.co.uk

Posted by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl>.
Hi Cemal,

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
I already replied on wiki on eelco's popup about the meeting around
apache con eu.
My idea was also tue (on the training day) or fri (after conf) but fri
is a bit to late, last sessions start at 15:00 and every body would be
a bit worn down i guess.

So maybe the friday before it does make sense except for the people
that will not follow the trainings anyway...

Posted by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl>.
Hi all,