Posted to erlang@couchdb.apache.org by 高大为 <fo...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/01 08:39:54 UTC

code to handle the procedure - between POST doc and save data in filesystem

Hi Erlang/CouchDB,

Recently I am trying to read the source code of CouchDB, and got some
knowledge that how the CouchDB booting up.

Right now I want to learn, when send a request, for example POST a
document, what parts of CouchDB code will do from handle the request to
save the data into disk / filesystem.

In other words, POST doc ===> save data to disk / filesystem, what parts of
code will work for the whole procedure?

Regards & Thanks!
David

Re: code to handle the procedure - between POST doc and save data in filesystem

Posted by Binbin Wang <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

That's great post, and greatly can help we guys who want to dive into the
CouchDB source a lot. Thank you for your sharing!

Regards & Thanks!
Binbin

Wang.bupt

Re: code to handle the procedure - between POST doc and save data in filesystem

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2012, at 17:58 , Ryan Graham <r....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great, but didn't David asking about POST, not PUT? *ducks*

Ah sorry, I didn't comment on that. Aside form an indirection in
couch_httpd_db the code path is the same, and I chose this one
because it is a little simpler.

> Seriously, though, great post. This will really help with learning CouchDB
> and Erlang. Thanks!

Thanks, to the others as well, I’m glad you like it!

Cheers
Jan
--

> [...]
>>>
>>> 1. write all changes to the data and index trees to the disk.
>>> 3. write a header to disk that has the current pointers to the index
>>>   trees that we wrote in 1.
>>>
>>> Writing to disk does not yet mean that the data actually arrived on
>>> disk. It might, but we only know for sure after we call the `fsync`
>>> system call. From Erlang, we call `couch_file:sync()`.
>>>
>>> Now there are different classes of behaviour possible in the list above.
>>> Notice how I left out 2.
>>>
>>> Writing a CouchDB file (which can be either a database file or a view
>>> can give different storage guarantees. The options are to fsync before
>>> the header is written, or after, or both. An fsync is a potentially
>>> expensive operation, so we have fine grained control over this here.
>>>
>>> The full list is:
>>>
>>> 1. write all changes to the data and index trees to the disk.
>>> 2. fsync.

Posted by Ryan Graham <r....@gmail.com>.

--
http://twitter.com/rmgraham

Re: code to handle the procedure - between POST doc and save data in filesystem

Posted by Garren Smith <gs...@redcometlabs.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya David,

> [...]

    % Write out the document summaries (the bodies are stored in the nodes of
    % the trees, the attachments are already written to disk)
    {ok, FlushedFullDocInfos} = flush_trees(Db2, NewFullDocInfos, []),

`flush_trees()` is defined in line 519. It iterates over the new data
in the database and recursively writes it to disk in line 547:

    {ok, NewSummaryPointer, SummarySize} =
        couch_file:append_raw_chunk(Fd, Summary),

Finally, we drop into `couch_file`, the lowest level of CouchDB.
`append_raw_chunk()` is defined in line 111 and it is just a small
wrapper that sends the `append_bin` message to the process that
manages the file descriptor for our database file.

`append_bin` is handled in line 373. It takes the data to be
written and pads it out to make it a multiple of `?SIZE_BLOCK`
(which is 4096 bytes).

In line 376 our data is finally written to disk:

From here on out we now go back up into `couch_db_updater` and