Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/12/19 03:46:56 UTC

[doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

This is part of the "Incubator Guidelines Documentation" project Noel
posted at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEBMFGAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

When Eddie and I briefly chatted at ApacheCon we agreed that there seems
to be a shortfall of information on the steps required for moving out of
the Incubator, and also that the steps would be different for graduating
as a new TLP (e.g., Eddie's experience with Beehive) or graduating into
an existing TLP (e.g., my experience with Derby into the DB project).

I'd like to initialize this topic now so we can capture JDO's experience
of moving into the DB project (nothing like fresh experience).

Here's a starting checklist based on one I started last summer when
Derby graduated:

[ ] Move svn repo
     [ ] Request svn repository/karma move from incubator to new location.
     ***Who should make this request? One of the project's mentors?
Anyone on the podling pmc?
     [ ] Remove the incubator disclaimer README at the top level
     [ ] Update the STATUS file to reflect graduation

[ ] Move web site
    [ ] Obtain karma for the new location on people.apache.org
    [ ] Check out/deploy the files in the new location
    [ ] Request redirect from old incubator URL to new
        *** Post this request to general@i.a.o ?
    [ ] After the redirect is verified working, delete any web cruft from
      /www/incubator.apache.org/${PROJECT}
    [ ] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/${PROJECT}.html
      update with link to new website location

[ ] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
     Move project from "Currently Incubating" to "Successfully
Incubated" table.

corrections? additions? What additional steps does graduating as a new
TLP require?

thanks,

  -jean

Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
David Crossley wrote:
[...]
> There are two separate issues in that item.
>
> One is moving the SVN repository or asking
> infra@ to move it.
>
> The other is amending the svn-authorization files
> to provide access to the newly-named repositories.
> The project PMC chair or other mentor can do that
> and there is no need to involve Infrastructure.

FWIW, I wonder if this, IMHO subtle, distinction might be a source
of confusion for people not familiar with the process. I suspect I
would be inclined to ask Infra to handle both tasks.

> There are some notes for PMCs which might help
> with this Incubator checklist:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for sending an email to
root when asking for a new account instead of opening an Infra
request in Jira?

Martin

Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> >On Dec 18, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> [...]
> >>Here's a starting checklist based on one I started last summer when
> >>Derby graduated:
> >>
> >>[ ] Move svn repo
> >>    [ ] Request svn repository/karma move from incubator to new
> >>location.
> >>    ***Who should make this request? One of the project's mentors?
> >>Anyone on the podling pmc?
> >
> >A sample email would be helpful here.
>
> Preferably in the form of a link to an actual email in the archive
> (if this is archived and publicly accessible), or to a Jira issue
> if done through Jira.

There are two separate issues in that item.

One is moving the SVN repository or asking
infra@ to move it.

The other is amending the svn-authorization files
to provide access to the newly-named repositories.
The project PMC chair or other mentor can do that
and there is no need to involve Infrastructure.

There are some notes for PMCs which might help
with this Incubator checklist:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

-David

Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 18, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> This is part of the "Incubator Guidelines Documentation" project
> Noel posted at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEBMFGAC.noel@devtech.com%3e
>
> When Eddie and I briefly chatted at ApacheCon we agreed that there
> seems to be a shortfall of information on the steps required for
> moving out of the Incubator, and also that the steps would be
> different for graduating as a new TLP (e.g., Eddie's experience
> with Beehive) or graduating into an existing TLP (e.g., my
> experience with Derby into the DB project).
>
> I'd like to initialize this topic now so we can capture JDO's
> experience of moving into the DB project (nothing like fresh
> experience).
>
> Here's a starting checklist based on one I started last summer when
> Derby graduated:
>
> [ ] Move svn repo
>     [ ] Request svn repository/karma move from incubator to new
> location.
>     ***Who should make this request? One of the project's mentors?
> Anyone on the podling pmc?

A sample email would be helpful here.

>     [ ] Remove the incubator disclaimer README at the top level
>     [ ] Update the STATUS file to reflect graduation
>
> [ ] Move web site
>    [ ] Obtain karma for the new location on people.apache.org
>    [ ] Check out/deploy the files in the new location
>    [ ] Request redirect from old incubator URL to new
>        *** Post this request to general@i.a.o ?

Is this an HTTP redirect in .htaccess file?

On Dec 18, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Here's a few:
> [ ] Submit Infra request to move mailing lists and archives. For
> example in a TLP, the ppmc list is renamed to pmc. sometimes the name
> of the mailing list needs to be updated (if there is a name change
> etc)
> [ ] Update information in JIRA/Bugzilla for the project.
>

> Off the top of my head a few more things for a TLP:
> Infra folks have additional work for a TLP (for example they have to
> add DNS entries). If it is a TLP, several locations in www.apache.org
> needs to get updated as well. One more thing the PMC has to get on a
> schedule for reporting to the board, there is a committee.txt that
> needs to be updated.

 From what I remember from when Geronimo graduated, a TLP needs to be
approved by the board, so the PPMC needs to create a proposal
including a proposed PMC chair and send that to the board.  A
graduating project may also want to send out a press release, which
needs to be cleared with the PRC.

-dain

Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Here's some:

[ ] make sure all committers have commit access to their new repository.
[ ] make sure all committers know how to / have karma to update the
new web site

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Here's a few:

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>    [ ] Request redirect from old incubator URL to new
>        *** Post this request to general@i.a.o ?

Edit the file at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-publish/.htaccess

-David

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>I only committed changes to the one source file I changed.
>>The instructions at
>>http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html#Using+a+local+Forrest+installation
>>are excellent and worked well, but svn status showed many diffs on the
>>built side, which didn't make sense given the one file I changed. --I'll
>>followup on site-dev@ .
>

> Better to talk about stuff like that here or at user@forrest
>
> It sounds like your forrest_07_branch is not up-to-date.

Pilot error -- I did a new checkout of forrest_07_branch and set my
environment, but managed to later revert my environment and couldn't see
the forest for the trees. At least I know what that error looks like now.

thanks,

  -jean

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On December 23, 2005 9:32:16 AM -0800 "Jean T. Anderson"
> <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll integrate the rest of the suggestions so far (thanks, Justin,
>> Robert, and Yoav), then would like to take a shot at adding it to the web
>> site. The best fit for this check list would be a new subsection in
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exitting+th
>> e+Incubator
>>
>> Should I post a patch to general@ or site-dev@ or some other list ?
>

> Just commit it to the incubator site directly.  No need for more patches
> on-list at this point.  -- justin

OK, Committed revision 358856.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
I'll integrate the rest of the suggestions so far (thanks, Justin,
Robert, and Yoav), then would like to take a shot at adding it to the
web site. The best fit for this check list would be a new subsection in
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exitting+the+Incubator

Should I post a patch to general@ or site-dev@ or some other list ?

This doesn't exclude more ideas and suggestions, of course, but there's
enough info to run with for now that I think it'd be good to get a draft
incorporated.

  -jean

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Incubator Graduation Check List
> -------------------------------
>
> [ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
>     [ ] Project removes the incubator disclaimer README at the top level

This might be another derbyism creeping in. The derby mentor started us
off with a file named README in the top level code directory with the
incubator disclaimer noted at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Use+of+Apache+Resources
.

I made a note for removing the file because IIRC derby forgot to for a
while :-) until a new developer spotted it and asked.

I notice that felix has an INCUBATOR-DISCLAIMER.txt, so how the
disclaimer gets conveyed probably isn't specified. At any rate, I'll
change the suggestion to

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Actually, the STATUS file was in the context of the repo move:
>>
>>    [ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
>>        [ ] Project updates the STATUS file to reflect graduation
>>
>> In other words, the STATUS file in the top level directory of the
>> project's svn code repository. But!  I'm seeing that some, but not all
>> asf projects have a file at (or near) the top of the repo named STATUS.
>

> I spotted the same "discrepancy" myself a while back (I only found
> one podling with a STATUS file -- Beehive). Eventually it turned out
> that what was meant by the STATUS file was the podling's status Web
> page.
>

>> I think that was just how the derby mentor started the derby project
>> off and I was generalizing. Should I remove this reference to the
>> project repo status file?
>

> That sounds reasonable to me. As I understand from Noel and David's
>

>> And doublechecking http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-5
>> against the updates to
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html, it
>> looks like the incubator status file is
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname.html . I had that on
>> the list as this:
>>
>>     PPMC updates http://incubator.apache.org/projects/${PROJECT}.html
>> with link to new website location.
>>
>> I think I should update that to this instead:
>>
>>     PPMC updates http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname.html
>> with graduation status and link to new website location.
>

> I would go with what's already in the policy, if only for consistency.
> (Even though I personally prefer ${PROJECT} -- it makes it clear even
> to notoriously confused people like me that the name of the file is
> NOT projectname.html ;-)

Got it -- thanks for the feedback!

  -jean

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/05, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:
> I spotted the same "discrepancy" myself a while back (I only found
> one podling with a STATUS file -- Beehive). Eventually it turned out
> that what was meant by the STATUS file was the podling's status Web
> page.
>

> > I think that was just how the derby mentor started the derby project off
> > and I was generalizing. Should I remove this reference to the project
> > repo status file?
>
> That sounds reasonable to me. As I understand from Noel and David's

I think a STATUS file is original HTTPD practice that too few ASF
projects have adopted or maintained.

In my experience, it is more difficult for someone to get started in a
community without a STATUS file that summarizes what is happening the
the project, as well as outstanding decisions. As projects mature,
there are decisions that we made months or years ago that are
difficult to document anywhere but in a STATUS file.

Some of what HTTPD now carries in the STATUS file, many projects would
now carry as part of a RoadMap, either as a manual web page or in
something like JIRA.  But, I would suggest that it would be useful to
encourage project to keep a standard record of the decisions, votes,
and reports made by a project.

Here's the STATUS file that HTTPD keeps now.

* http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd/httpd/trunk/STATUS?view=markup

Here's what we've setup for iBATIS and Struts.

* http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ibatis/trunk/STATUS.txt?view=markup
* http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/build/trunk/STATUS.txt?view=markup

-Ted.

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
[...]

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
[...]
> What did I miss? changes? corrections?
>
> thanks,
>
>  -jean
>
> Incubator Graduation Check List
> -------------------------------
[...]

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 12/23/05, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:01:14PM -0800, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>
>>>Incubator Graduation Check List
>>>-------------------------------
>>>
>>>[ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
>>>    [ ] *** ? *** requests that infrastructure move svn repository
>>>Should it be made via email to infrastructure@ or Jira issue?
>>
>>Belts and suspenders.  =)  File a JIRA issue and email infra@.
>

> perhaps we could add a recommendation that whoever does this actually
> subscribes to infrastructure. it's important that new pmc's start building
> up a pool of people who understand how the apache infrastructure works and
> know how to keep up to date with changes in best practice (which ATM means
> read infra). hopefully, this may increase the flow of volunteers as well.

I think a separate doc topic should augment
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/general.html (or some other existing
page) with information on how to get started in the incubator. That list
should include mail lists that committers on an incubating project
should subscribe to to become aware of what else goes on at the asf
(general@i.a.o , community@ , ...) and what goes on behind the scenes
(infra@).

I'll initialize that doc topic unless somebody else beats me to it.  :-)

  -jean

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,

> Should this document include package name changes for Java projects,
> from foo.bar to org.apache?  (And similar namespace changes for XML
> files, etc.)

Good catch. The list I'm proposing for graduating out of the incubator
should really be named something like "Post-Graduation Check List"; in
other words, it's the steps a project needs to perform to move out of
the incubator.

Veriyfing package name changes would be a good addition to the "Minimum
Exit Requirements" in

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/05, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:01:14PM -0800, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> > Incubator Graduation Check List
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > [ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
> >     [ ] *** ? *** requests that infrastructure move svn repository
> > Should it be made via email to infrastructure@ or Jira issue?
>
> Belts and suspenders.  =)  File a JIRA issue and email infra@.

perhaps we could add a recommendation that whoever does this actually
subscribes to infrastructure. it's important that new pmc's start building
up a pool of people who understand how the apache infrastructure works and
know how to keep up to date with changes in best practice (which ATM means
read infra). hopefully, this may increase the flow of volunteers as well.

- robert

Re: [doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:01:14PM -0800, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Incubator Graduation Check List
> -------------------------------
>
> [ ] Move svn repo from incubator to new location
>     [ ] *** ? *** requests that infrastructure move svn repository
> Should it be made via email to infrastructure@ or Jira issue?

Belts and suspenders.  =)  File a JIRA issue and email infra@.

>     [ ] PMC updates the svn-authorization files to provide committers
> access to the newly-named repositories.
>     [ ] Project verifies all committers have commit access
>     [ ] Project removes the incubator disclaimer README at the top level
>     [ ] Project updates the STATUS file to reflect graduation

Do you mean the STATUS file within Incubator site?  The project may have
its own STATUS too...

Changes in groups requires root privs.  So, email root@ and JIRA.  (Someone
more involved in infra@ than I am may know if the policy has changed...)

This will require infra@ help.

> [ ] Move mail lists
>     PMC requests that infrastructure@ move mailing lists and archives.

File JIRA issues too...

> [ ] If the graduating project wants to send out a press release, it must
> be cleared with the PRC.

Yes.

> Additional steps for a TLP:
>
> [ ] A new TLP needs board approval. The PPMC creates a proposal
> including a proposed PMC chair and sends that to the board.
> [ ] *** ? *** notifies infrastructure@ about the new TLP (so they can
> add DNS entries ***and anything else***)

The Chairman will usually send out an official notice that a new TLP has
been approved by the Board.  (Notifications from anyone else should be
ignored.)

> [ ] *** ? *** updates www.apache.org to point to new TLP web site.

Any member can do that.  Ideally, the mentor.

> [ ] *** ? *** adds the new PMC to the board reporting schedule
> (update the committee.txt file).

Pick the one that has the least amount of projects on it to keep it in
balance.  =)

Also, a new TLP is on the hook for monthly board reports for three months
after approval.

Looks good!  -- justin

[doc] [draft #2] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
This consolidates input from Dims, Craig, David, Dain, and Martin
(thanks, everyone). The original thread starts at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3c43A61F20.4010703@bristowhill.com%3e
.
I tried to clarify who should do what:
    - "PPMC" means the old PPMC for the graduating project.
    - "PMC" means the new PMC under which the graduating project falls
(might be the former PPMC for a TLP)
    - "Project" means all the committers on the graduating project.

Stuff that needs to be clarified is marked by ***

Resources:

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html