Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com> on 2006/01/25 14:40:03 UTC

[JSF] rt tld

How come there isn't a rt.tld for JSF that takes in runtime expressions?
I understand that views may return xml or html views instead of jsp but
arn't tld's basically a JSP thing?

I understand this isn't a concern with JSP 2.0 but I'm still using JSP 1.2.

Shawn

Re: rt tld

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/25/06, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:
> How come there isn't a rt.tld for JSF that takes in runtime expressions?
> I understand that views may return xml or html views instead of jsp but
> arn't tld's basically a JSP thing?
>
> I understand this isn't a concern with JSP 2.0 but I'm still using JSP 1.2.

TLDs are a JSP *only* thing.

As background, it is important to remember that JSF 1.0 and 1.1 do not
use JSTL EL specifically ... that's why the delimiter is "#{...}"
instead of "${...}".  The actual interpretation of the expressions is
done in the tag implementations.  The JSF tags disable runtime
expressions to avoid potential security concerns of having an
expression that calculates an expression that does something.  In JSF
1.2 (coupled with JSP 2.1) there will be only one expression language,
but the tags will still disable Java runtime expressions (<%= ... %>)
because:

* Its basically redundant because the EL expressions
  give you dynamic calculation capabilities already

* It cannot be compiled down to typesafe code
  (such as allowing a tool to offer you the
  ability to graphically construct such formulas.

* It cannot be customized (in JSF 1.1, for example,
  you can inject custom VariableResolver and
  PropertyResolver implementations).

Given this, there's no reason for two different JSF TLDs ... just the
single TLD that has runtime expressions disabled.

> Shawn

Craig