Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com> on 2012/04/12 09:41:04 UTC

sync to central and patched 3rd party artifacts

Hi all,

I was wondering how things are supposed to work when you have a sync to central but you relly on a patched version of a 3rd party artifact.

For example lets assume my library X depends on apache common io, and the current version has a bug that has been sitting around with a path for a while and not making it into any release.
So according to the documents normally we would download and build a patched verison of commons:commons-io and deploy it to our repo as common:commons-io:1.2.3-4_JIRA1234

Using the same Group and artifact is recommended to avoid bringin in duplicate classes is someone who consumes our lib also uses commons-io.

Anyway this is all good - but what happens if we want our artifact X synced to central - we must have all dependencies available on central but we have no sync control on commons/commons-io.

What would normally happen here?

/James

________________________________

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Re: sync to central and patched 3rd party artifacts

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,
Did you know those artifacts
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/madgag/org.eclipse.jgit-parent/
There are probably some others samples :-)

2012/4/13 Nord, James <JN...@nds.com>:
>> > I was wondering how things are supposed to work when you have a sync
>> > to central but you relly on a patched version of a 3rd party artifact.
>> >
>> > For example lets assume my library X depends on apache common io, and
>> > the current version has a bug that has been sitting around with a path
>> > for a while and not making it into any release.
>>
>> I would do everything that I could to get this patch applied by the dev team and
>> have another release produced by them with this fix included. Can you tell us
>> the specific JIRA number which you are referencing?
>
> Commons-io was just an example - I could just have easily said foobarwhizzylib.
>
> Turns out the OSS product I was referening to actually deploys the patched libs under its own GAV which I missed when looking at it - so this isn’t actually an issue to me anymore.
>
>> Otherwise you would follow these directions:
>> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-
>> party+Artifacts+to+The+Central+Repository

> This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.
>
> NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

RE: sync to central and patched 3rd party artifacts

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I was wondering how things are supposed to work when you have a sync to
> central but you relly on a patched version of a 3rd party artifact.
>
> For example lets assume my library X depends on apache common io, and
> the current version has a bug that has been sitting around with a path for a
> while and not making it into any release.

I would do everything that I could to get this patch applied by the
dev team and have another release produced by them with this fix
included. Can you tell us the specific JIRA number which you are
referencing?

Otherwise you would follow these directions:
https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+The+Central+Repository

Wayne

Re: sync to central and patched 3rd party artifacts

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
I *think* there is no verification that all dependencies exist in
central, so you would then put something into central that will not
work for the the end users. We've been there several times in the past
and it hasn't been a pleasant experience.

/Anders