Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2022/11/06 09:37:15 UTC

Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Hi all,

We released our last Developer version some time ago.
Maybe we can start a Dev4 now?

Regarding Windows, I would like to do a "normal" build, just branded as
a "Developer Version".
This way we are much closer to a production build.

Additionally, I would like to build AOO with Adoptiums OpenJDK now.

How about removing (at least) Dev2?

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

So, at that time we build from the source contained in the archive (aka tag)?
That makes sense!

Thanks!
Pedro

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias, all

+1

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi all

At some point during shutdown, before the program closes, the procedure to save the profile occurs.
Isn't it possible that this command can be issued by an extension (given that all documents must be closed, obviously)?
Maybe after closing the profile it is not possible to do this with OpenOffice Basic but it can be done in Java?

Best,
Pedro

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Carl Marcum <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

On 12/30/22 2:46 PM, Dave wrote:
> So AOO is incapable of, or prohibited from, spawning an external process?

I'm fairly sure it can with a shell execute or something similar.

> So an AOO extension is not really an option and the very long standing
> problem of our users data being destroyed by this issue continues on
> unresolved, because we don't THINK it can be done instead of finding a
> way to get it done.

I was only questioning swapping profiles during a session which would happen if launched from an extension.
I can see how an external program once launched from an extension or internal command could then shutdown the office if needed to perform the tasks.
With a users permission of course :)

> I just threw an idea into the pot for consideration, I never claimed it
> was in anyway a perfect, or even workable solution.

I didn't mean to imply anything about your proposal.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Dave <bm...@apache.org>.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Carl Marcum <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Moderator <bm...@apache.org>.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.
An extension will not work.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi all

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
I think those are the Issues we need to look at:

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126869

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126762

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi all

wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Am 19.12.22 um 13:39 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Is there any extension to Backup/Restore the contents of the User
> Profile?
> >
> > I don't mean copy files but actually exporting and importing the
> contents?
> >
> > If there isn't, is any of the developers on this mailing list interested
> in creating one?
> >
> > I believe this would be a great contribution to all OpenOffice users...
> >
> > I volunteer to do any testing required!
>
> I think this has been discussed several times in the last years, but
> nothing ever happened.
>
> I am a bit concerned that this time you didn't even get a reaction...

It's the festive season, many people aren't reading emails.

> Personally, I would prefer an extension (OS independent), but I could
> imagine problems with copying/restoring the profile while AOO is still
> active.

If profile corruption is such a problem, why don't we fix it?

Where are the bug reports?

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

> > Thank you advance!
> >
> > Best,
> > Pedro

Regards
Damjan

Re: Profile Backup/Restore

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Profile Backup/Restore

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Windows builds (a46cde238b) are uploaded now:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.2.0-Dev4/binaries/

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Feel free to do so... ;-)

But I am not sure if Twitter is the right "audience" for a Developer Build.
(BTW: I canceled my account there recently)

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim, All,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Great!

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
My macOS Catalina build server VM is very unreliable... working on getting it back in shape.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
OK. I'll rebuild all from a46cde238

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi jim,

Am 21.12.22 um 12:36 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> No changes to the Linux or Windows builds, so the small change in hash# isn't an issue since this is an informal Dev4 test

So how do we tag it?

Uploads go here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.2.0-Dev4/binaries/

I will take care of updating the version info then...

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
> Hi Jim,
>
> I saw that you needed another commit for macOS, so that shifts
> AOO420-Dev4 to #9b873c1694 ?

Should have done git pull first... ;-)

#a46cde238b

Matthias

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Had to reboot the VM...

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Had to reboot the VM...

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jim,

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 08.11.22 um 14:43 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Let me know when we are ready for a Dev4 then and I'll kick off the builds.

I hope that others have something to contribute. Otherwise Dev4 will be
just "another" snapshot.

But even then, we can prepare Dev5 afterwards. Step by step to the 4.2.0
release... ;-)

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
I can't get 4.2.X to build in Ubuntu 18.04.6 x64

I'm using
./configure --with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M") - `uname -sm`" --with-dmake-url=https://github.com/jimjag/dmake/archive/v4.13.1/dmake-4.13.1.tar.gz --with-epm-url=https://github.com/jimjag/epm/archive/v5.0.0/epm-5.0.0.tar.gz --enable-opengl --disable-odk --enable-category-b --enable-bundled-dictionaries

but get

dmake:  Error: -- `./unxlngx6.pro/misc/8ce02a315807bd406b5de85ccf63e7fb-epm-5.0.0.unpack' not found, and can't be made

1 module(s):
	epm
need(s) to be rebuilt

Reason(s):

ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /source/openoffice/main/epm

When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:

	build --from epm

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Time for AOO 4.2.0 Dev 4?