Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2018/07/10 13:42:23 UTC

Apache Felix Logback vs Sling Commons Log

Hi,

I noticed that a logback module was recently released in the Felix
project [1].

At a glance it seems to have the same high-level objectives as our own
commons-log implementation, but lacks a number of feature we've built.

Since I'm not that familiar with the codebase, I would like to ask if
the goals are similar and if it makes sense to try and converge the two
modules into a single one, presumably in Apache Felix, as it does not
depend on Sling and can get more community exposure.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-log
back.html

Re: Apache Felix Logback vs Sling Commons Log

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Felix Logback currently supports configuring via logback.xml config
file and if logging needs to be changed then that file would need to
be modified. Compared to that Sling Commons Logback [1] support some
more features and enables configuring appenders via OSGi config and
has a good Web Console integration.

> if it makes sense to try and converge the two
> modules into a single one, presumably in Apache Felix, as it does not
> depend on Sling and can get more community exposure.

+1

Implementation wise Commons Log does not depend on any Sling feature
(except using sling.home to configure base log directory). So it makes
sense to converge the two

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/logging.html

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.