Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Lindy <da...@touchmove.com> on 2002/08/11 00:58:39 UTC

server.xml guru needed for tomcat 4 on apache 1.3 issue

So here's the deal:

I've got several virtual hosts running under apache 1.3 each with it's own
tomcat JVM. No issues there. The problem is that I am attempting to get
them all to work with mod_ssl. Even worse, I've only got one IP to work
with and SSL is IP-based so I can only define one virtual host on port 443
in apache's httpd.conf.

The solution I've concocted uses mod_rewrite to map SSL requests based on
the host name in the HTTP request. This actually works quite well. (And yes
I've got mod_rewrite working fine with mod_webapp, took a bit of hacking
though.) I am able to direct these requests to the appropriate tomcat
instances as well, only it doesn't quite work as expected.

What happens is that for SSL requests, the server name in the <VirtualHost
_default_:443> section in httpd.conf does not match the defaultHost
attribute for the <Engine> element in tomcat's server.xml. Oddly enough
adding an additional matching <Host> to the <Engine> appears to have no
effect. In fact everything works except tomcat is apparently using a
different instance of the servlet being accessed for the SSL request vs the
non-SSL request, which is highly problematic for various reasons.

I'd be happy to forward config files etc. to anyone who thinks they might
know what's going on.  Suggestions for things I haven't tried yet are also
most welcome.

Thanks,
Dan