Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/08/03 16:15:32 UTC

[all] Wiki enabling fields in JIRA?

Hi

I have switched to "Wiki Enabled Field Config Scheme" for the Commons
Logging project in JIRA. This allows users to use a simple wiki style
syntax to format the descriptions and comments. It does show the wiki
syntax in the emails that are sent out as well, but the syntax is pretty
unintrusive.

You can view an example in this issue

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGGING-114

You can see that
- bulleted
- lists
and *bold* are handled nicely.

But the nicest feature is the ability to use macros like {code} to
surround your code snippets, like I did in this comment:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGGING-114#action_12517528

I would like to switch this on for all Commons projects in JIRA, but I
wanted to hear your opinion on this first.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] Wiki enabling fields in JIRA?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 4, 2007 5:24 AM, Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:03:54AM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > When it came up before, I thought there was a problem with enabling it
> > on an existing project? How do all the old issues look? Did they get
> > wiki'd?
>
> Old issues get wikified too.
>
> Suggestion from the peanut gallery: make the change and see if anyone
> complains. IMO the benefits are worth it. Besides {code}, it's handy to
> be able to link to [urls|http://foo.com] and [attached files|^foo.txt]
> inline.

I've not noticed old issues being screwed up, but I suspect they might have.

What have I noticed is that wiki comments suck! I'll do a comment and
my piece of code is winking, or the piece of text has been
strikethrough'd.

*mentally kicks oneself into previewing every comment and winces*

Hen

Re: [all] Wiki enabling fields in JIRA?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I am +1 to this change. Wiki JIRA is much easier to use and read.

Stephen

Re: [all] Wiki enabling fields in JIRA?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 8/4/07, Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:03:54AM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> When it came up before, I thought there was a problem with enabling it
>>> on an existing project? How do all the old issues look? Did they get
>>> wiki'd?

Unless the old issues have some really unusual text in them, they will
look the same as before or better. I have seen a few rare cases over in
maven land, where the Maven 1 starting lines looked rather unpleasant
after enabling wiki fields there.

>> Old issues get wikified too.
>>
>> Suggestion from the peanut gallery: make the change and see if anyone
>> complains. IMO the benefits are worth it. Besides {code}, it's handy to
>> be able to link to [urls|http://foo.com] and [attached files|^foo.txt]
>> inline.
>
> What happens to http://foo.com on its own? Currently that gets turned
> into a link, will all the links we have get unlinked?

No they won't. None of the current features, like creating links just by
typing the address, will be removed.

> If these are the primary gains, it seems to me that wikified issues
> are worse than normal ones. Links are harder to do, making code easier
> to do is actually a bad idea as we'd much rather see patches than code
> dumps, and being able to link to an attached file is a nice to have -
> rarely needed.

Links can work the same if you want them to.

I don't see people using {code} to enter patches, but to separate
configuration examples, xml file snippets and code examples. I think it
makes the issues easier to read.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:03:54AM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> When it came up before, I thought there was a problem with enabling it
> on an existing project? How do all the old issues look? Did they get
> wiki'd?

Old issues get wikified too.

Suggestion from the peanut gallery: make the change and see if anyone
complains. IMO the benefits are worth it. Besides {code}, it's handy to
be able to link to [urls|http://foo.com] and [attached files|^foo.txt]
inline.

--Jeff

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.