Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "RODGERS,RICK (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" <ri...@hp.com> on 2001/05/07 17:17:58 UTC

Why does Internet Explorer think it is offline?

I am using tomcat with IE and am having problems with it.
Every time I start IE and try and access a Java Server Page or
servlet through "lolcalhost:8080/examples/jsp" the browser first complains
that the system is not connected to a network. I then click on
"try again" and the browser then seems to find the JSPand display it.
Is there a special setting for tomcat if the system is connected to a
hub?

Any thoughts?

Rick

Re: Why does Internet Explorer think it is offline?

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.
"RODGERS,RICK (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" wrote:

> I am using tomcat with IE and am having problems with it.
> Every time I start IE and try and access a Java Server Page or
> servlet through "lolcalhost:8080/examples/jsp" the browser first complains
> that the system is not connected to a network. I then click on
> "try again" and the browser then seems to find the JSPand display it.
> Is there a special setting for tomcat if the system is connected to a
> hub?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Rick

Somes times windows dont' know who localhost is.

Try this:
go to a command window, and "ping localhost"  if you get host unknown
or some other error other than 4 ping responses then you should
edit your hosts file to include a line like
localhost 127.0.0.1

ALSO: If you put a port number in there IE requires a protocol.
so you can do

localhost/blah/blah

but if you do localhost:8080/blah/blah you need
http://localhost:8080/blah/blah

RE: Why does Internet Explorer think it is offline?

Posted by CPC Livelink Admin <cp...@fitzpatrick.cc>.
I have found that IE really wants to have the HTTP:// in front of the
localhost - On mine, it wants to change localhost:8080/whatever to
local:8080/whatever and I get a similar error to what you mention.

Could this be part of your problem?