Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Quezada <aq...@textwise.com> on 2010/11/01 17:48:21 UTC

Access log timing details

Hello,

I'm trying to debug some performance issues, and see discrepancies from
the time reported by HttpClient and Tomcat's access log.  This is for
post requests (I'm running Tomcat 6.0.18 just in case).

Does the time reported in the access log include the entire session,
including the time it took to upload the post request, or is it only the
response time once the request and payload are fully received?

I've looked around but no luck finding details on the response times.

Thanks for any info!

Alex Quezada

Re: Access log timing details

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.
Its the time the Valve starts processing until the valve has finished
processing.

Vague heh?

So this means that Tomcat will need to do the following first before
timing starts
- Accept the connection
- Receive the 1st line of the request, and probably the headers such as Host
- From there - Tomcat now knows where to send the request and can
create/invoke the Valve chain and the AccessLogValve can start its timing
- Then AccessLogValve records as its end time when the valve is finished
its processing (which is after your servlet/jsp is already done since it
wraps it). So (if I am correct) it may be possible that the OS could be
buffering some bytes waiting to go out which could also cause a time
difference.

-Tim

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.