Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Pill, Juergen" <Ju...@softwareag.com> on 2000/11/20 17:34:33 UTC

Rename on an already locked resource

If I perform a rename (implemented as a move) on a resource, which is
already locked (say by word2000) an exception is thrown and printed.

org.apache.slide.lock.ObjectLockedException: Object /files/doc4.doc is
already locked
	at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:382)
	at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:355)
	at org.apache.slide.content.ContentImpl.remove(ContentImpl.java:717)
	at org.apache.slide.macro.MacroImpl.deleteObject(MacroImpl.java:434)
	at org.apache.slide.macro.MacroImpl.delete(MacroImpl.java:266)
	at org.apache.slide.macro.MacroImpl.move(MacroImpl.java:233)
	at
org.apache.slide.webdav.method.MoveMethod.executeRequest(MoveMethod.java:208
)
	at
org.apache.slide.webdav.method.WebdavMethod.run(WebdavMethod.java:313)
	at
org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet.service(WebdavServlet.java:283)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:387)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:371)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:74
9)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:695)
	at
onnectionHandler.java:207)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:403)
	at
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:24:25 GMT+01:00 - default - INFO -  (time: 2516 ms) -
MOVE on object /files/doc4.doc

Best regards

Juergen Pill

RE: CVSup

Posted by Peter Hawkins <pe...@globalvision.com.au>.
Oh sorry for my typo - yes I had "jakarta-slide" but that wasn't working.

*default delete use-rel-suffix compress norsync preserve
*default base=/exports/data/cvs/apache
*default host=jakarta.apache.org
*default release=cvs

jakarta-slide        prefix=jakarta-slide
jakarta-tomcat       prefix=jakarta-tomcat

I get tomcat but slide fails.

Peter

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

CVSup

Posted by Peter Hawkins <pe...@globalvision.com.au>.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if my limited knowledge of
cvsup is showing! However, I am interested in running cvsup to maintain a
mirror of slide's cvs repository on my dev machine. I can do that for things
like tomcat and apache but it seems I can't sup slide. I can check it out of
course (module xml-slide), but not sup it. Is this a restriction or should
it work and if so, can someone show me their supfile?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Rename on an already locked resource

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> "Pill, Juergen" wrote:
> >
> > If I perform a rename (implemented as a move) on a resource, which is
> > already locked (say by word2000) an exception is thrown and printed.
> >
> > org.apache.slide.lock.ObjectLockedException: Object /files/doc4.doc is
> > already locked
> >         at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:382)
> >         at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:355)
> .
> .
> .
>
> Juergen:
>
>  Which version are you using? I ran into a similar problem, but then
> updated from CVS, and my locking problem went away...

I committed the fix for this this morning. Actually, it was just a debug
statement.
The locking algorithm may still be buggy, though :(

I'll look into that after doing the code reorg.

Remy

Re: Rename on an already locked resource

Posted by Boyd Waters <bw...@aoc.nrao.edu>.
"Pill, Juergen" wrote:

> If I perform a rename (implemented as a move) on a resource, which is
> already locked (say by word2000) an exception is thrown and printed.
>
> org.apache.slide.lock.ObjectLockedException: Object /files/doc4.doc is
> already locked
>         at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:382)
>         at org.apache.slide.lock.LockImpl.checkLock(LockImpl.java:355)
.
.
.

Juergen:

 Which version are you using? I ran into a similar problem, but then
updated from CVS, and my locking problem went away...

-- boyd

---------
Boyd Waters                                          bwaters@nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory              http://www.nrao.edu
PO Box 0 Socorro, NM 87801                               505.835.7346

                                        http://www.zocalo.net/~waters
                                                    waters@zocalo.net
---------

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Dave Bryson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I plan to reorganize a little bit the source code, to make it more
modular.

> > > -jakarta-slide
> > >  -docs : generated website
> > >  -lib : probably useless
> >
> > Why not add the required jars to CVS
> > instead of requiring people to download
> > each separately? This may help newbies get started
> > quicker and keep the CVS tree synched with the version
> > of external libraries.
> >

> In general, having JAR files (or any generated output, for that matter) in
the
> CVS tree causes many more problems than it solves.  This most often shows
up when
> the dependent package releases a new version, and/or when the developer
already
> has the package in question installed, and wants to use their own version.
>
> In general, developers building from CVS sources directly are assumed to
be more
> comfortable with downloading dependent packages and setting up class
paths, etc.
> For the more casual user, the right answer would be to create
distributions that
> contain all the required stuff.  This is what Tomcat does, for example --
the
> binary distribution includes the XML parser, so you don't have to download
it
> (although you can replace it if you want).

The only two dependencies right now are :
- The servlet 2.2 API to run the servlet. Of course, the servlet container
you'll use needs that too, so chances are it's not a problem ;)
- JAXP 1.0, which is needed for a lot of Jakarta projects

Remy

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Dave Bryson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan to reorganize a little bit the source code, to make it more modular.
> >
> > -jakarta-slide
> >  -docs : generated website
> >  -lib : probably useless
>
> Why not add the required jars to CVS
> instead of requiring people to download
> each separately? This may help newbies get started
> quicker and keep the CVS tree synched with the version
> of external libraries.

In general, having JAR files (or any generated output, for that matter) in the
CVS tree causes many more problems than it solves.  This most often shows up when
the dependent package releases a new version, and/or when the developer already
has the package in question installed, and wants to use their own version.

In general, developers building from CVS sources directly are assumed to be more
comfortable with downloading dependent packages and setting up class paths, etc.
For the more casual user, the right answer would be to create distributions that
contain all the required stuff.  This is what Tomcat does, for example -- the
binary distribution includes the XML parser, so you don't have to download it
(although you can replace it if you want).

> Just a thought, otherwise the rest looks great!
>
> dave bryson

Craig McClanahan

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by Dave Bryson <da...@www1.kc.aoindustries.com>.