Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Balaraman Sujatha <su...@cisco.com> on 2002/02/21 02:21:49 UTC

Updating configuration files across multiple Java VM's

Hi,

I have  multiple VM's running log4j. So, if I do a
PropertyConfigurator.ConfigureandWatch on one VM, is there any way that the
log4j messages (i.e) the category messages on the other VM's will see this
new configuration file, or do they need to be done on a per VM level ? Can
you please clarify ?

I do understand that if the PropertyConfigurator.ConfigureandWatch is set
on a root category, then all it's child categories will inherit this new
configuration file change, but will this work, even if the child categories
are in different VM's ?

Thanks.
Sujatha.

Re: Updating configuration files across multiple Java VM's

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 17:21 20.02.2002 -0800, Balaraman Sujatha wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have  multiple VM's running log4j. So, if I do a
>PropertyConfigurator.ConfigureandWatch on one VM, is there any way that
>the log4j messages (i.e) the category messages on the other VM's will see
>this new configuration file, or do they need to be done on a per VM level
>? Can you please clarify ?

There is no sharing of log4j configuration settings across JVMs.

>I do understand that if the PropertyConfigurator.ConfigureandWatch is set
>on a root category, then all it's child categories will inherit this new
>configuration file change, but will this work, even if the child
>categories are in different VM's ?

See my previous answer. Hope this clarifies the issue. Ceki