Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Teter <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/28 18:03:27 UTC

manager/remove functionality

Hello.

I'm just beginning to use the manager app to deploy my
app instead of dropping a myapp.war file into the
webapps dir, deleting the webapps/myapp directory and
myapp.war file, stopping Tomcat, and retarting Tomcat.

The stopping and restarting of Tomcat was a real drag.

So now I do manager/install ... my war file from my
dist directory, and that makes my app available.  I
like it so far.  But then I modify my app, build (with
ant), manager/remove, and manager/install.

That doesn't work unless I manually (or as part of my
ant dist activity) delete webapps/myapp directory.

Now to my point.  I would expect manager/remove to
completely remove the app (including the webapps/myapp
directory.)  It doesn't remove the directory, so
subsequent manager/install attempts do nothing.  At
least, I can't see my changes unless I: ant dist
(including rm $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/myapp),
manager/remove, and then manager/install.

Am I misusing this or misunderstanding it?  Shouldn't
manager/remove actually remove the webapps/myapp dir?
Or shouldn't manager/install remove or overwrite the
webapps/myapp directory or its contents?

Thanks for any pointers.  (I've read what
documentation I can find on Manager app, but it's
fairly sparse.)  I suppose I could change manager's
behavior by modifying its source, but I'll reserve
that for last.

Michael

PS: anyone know how to get XEmacs to highlight
Java/JSP code?  any pointers there would be welcome...
not much useful answers to this question from what I
can find on the net.

Re: manager/remove functionality

Posted by todd tredeau <to...@wisernet.com>.
this is just a guess, but I would imagine in the typicall Production
environment, the overhead required would be pretty intensive, also the
mess that was made in the wrong hands. I believe that with the manager
context in 4.04 and up, (both 4.04 and 4.1) have their own problems...
you can force a deployment. I think that is probably the right approach
personally, I don't mind doing that....  If you're real familiar with
the tomcat sources, I have some code remm has as well, for jndi that
needs integration to tomcat standards... for ldap on Netware. in 4.1-dev.

thanks

todd
http://www.wiserlabz.com
collaborative effort to promote Novell and Open Source solutions

Posted by todd tredeau <to...@wisernet.com>.