Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Nimi Wariboko Jr <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/19 01:26:12 UTC

Rebalancing vnodes cluster

Hi,

When I started with cassandra I had originally set it up to use tokens. I
then migrated to vnodes (using shuffle), but my cluster isn't balanced (http://imgur.com/73eNhJ3).

What steps can I take to balance my cluster?

Thanks,
Nimi

Re: Rebalancing vnodes cluster

Posted by Nimi Wariboko Jr <ni...@gmail.com>.
This isn't the case. I noticed the error because of some unusual hotspotting. `nodetool status` also shows the cluster is unbalanced.

root@cass1:~# nodetool status
Datacenter: 129
===============
Status=Up/Down
|/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
--  Address        Load       Tokens  Owns   Host ID                               Rack
UN  10.129.196.6   140.06 GB  269     21.8%  ce8d4ea9-8106-44b3-a2dd-c0230eb53c94  196
UN  10.129.196.21  157.84 GB  256     22.4%  d7009278-3191-48a1-8112-dc350e78b783  196
UN  10.129.196.4   138.52 GB  260     23.4%  cde6c3be-a066-47f2-abc2-b1d78bee0d7c  196
UN  10.129.196.5   261.46 GB  239     32.3%  2cb24510-2f89-46b2-96b9-873f8e8e50da  196

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Nimi Wariboko Jr <ni...@gmail.com>.
We had originally started with 3 nodes w/ 32GB ram and 768GB SSDs. I pretty much Google'd my way into setting up cassandra and set it up using tokens because I was following an older docco. We were using Cassandra 1.2.5, I learned about vnodes later on and regretted waking up that morning.

1.) I'm not sure if shuffle was successful. We started shuffling on Jun 7th and killed it on the 17th. We let it run over 2 weekends (10 days) and it the node shuffle tool didn't report any meaningful progress. I explained this over IRC and was told `node shuffle` takes a really long time and you shouldn't use it. At the time our ring looked "mostly" balanced so we just killed it. We were migrating from a MongoDB cluster and didn't want to pay for 2 clusters.
2.) During the shuffle we had upped our RF to 2, did not a do a repair and lost 1/3rd of our data. Fortunately we could just use sstable tool to reload the data as it was really deleted.
3.) We ran cleanup a couple days later
4.) Cassandra 1.2.5

After all this, we converted another mongo node we had into Cassandra (same specs) for a cluster of size 4. Now after 4 months, one node (the subject of this thread) is growing faster than the others (which is leading to hot spotting as well). I guess this has to do with the unfinished shuffle? Are there any remedies for this?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.