Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrew Stevens <at...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/21 16:36:00 UTC

LocaleAction and cookies

Hi,

I'm using Cocoon 2.1.7 to generate a bilingual site (i.e. every page may be
displayed in either English or Chinese, according to the users' preference).
  I want the chosen language to be remembered between page requests, but
there may not a session available (we had problems on a previous site when
we hit the configured max sessions limit on the server, so we don't want the
"brochureware" parts of the site to always create a session since they don't
really need one).  Therefore, I've got the LocaleAction configured to
store-in-cookie as well as store-in-session.

However, I've discovered that as I browse around the site's hierarchy it's
creating multiple locale cookies, under every path I visit.  This means that
if I go to /site/a, then /site/area/b, switch locales
(/site/area/b?locale=zh_HK), then request /site/a again, it still displays
in English rather than the Chinese I was expecting (as the en_GB cookie with
the higher level path still exists).  By the time I've browsed all over the
site, switching back and forth between the languages, it's anyone's guess
which language any particular page will display :-(

Is there any way to specify a particular path for the locale cookie to use,
so that I can set it to "/" and have it affect the whole site?  For that
matter, I may want to change the domain it uses, or set an expiry time so
that it's persistent between browser sessions.  Is there any way to do this?

Andrew.