Posted to mirae-dev@ws.apache.org by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/14 16:30:43 UTC

Current status of StAX ME, FIME, and more

Hi all,

I just finished some work on StAX ME, FIME, and Mirae WS. Let me explain
more about them.

1. StAX ME
I tested it on my Nokia 6230 phone and found it working fine. After
clarifying several issues, StAX ME is going to be checked in.

2. FIME
Fast Infoset ME is also ready to go with FISE, so I hope to see it at
fi.dev.java.net soon.

3. Mirae WS (Web Services)
Currently, a new RPC part empowered by StAX ME and FIME is done and
tested with JWSDP 1.6 FI. I'll add three more features: message oriented
web services, web services server, and asynchronous invocation.

3.1. Message oriented web services.
Simply speaking, it's like SAAJ, but there's already kSOAP. I'd rather
make it like Dispatch in JAX-WS. Here's a straightforward usage of
Dispatch ME.

Dispatch dispatch = new Dispatch("http://localhost/add");

XMLStreamWriter request = dispatch.getRequestWriter();
request.writeElement(NamespaceConstants.NSURI_SOAP_ENVELOPE, "Header");
dispatch.invoke();

XMLStreamReader response = dispatch.getResponseReader();
response.next();

3.2. Web services server
It's basically the opposite side of a web services client. You can
generate a skeleton from a WSDL and deploy a service endpoint
implementation to your phone. It takes advantage of MIDP's push
registry, so once there comes a request to your phone, your server
automatically starts up.

3.3. Asynchronous invocation
So far, we are able to carry out messaging of request-response and one
way on both mobile client and mobile server. It's time to fulfill the
rest of message exchange patterns: asynchronous polling and callback.
There are various kinds of transport protocols available in the mobile
world: HTTP, TCP, Bluetooth, MMS, and even Mail!

4. Attachments
I hope to support them, especially collaborating with other optional
packages like WMA and MMA.

Eventually, I'm planning to propose Java ME Web Services 2.0 with all
those features provided by StAX ME and Mirae WS.

Thank you for your interest in Mirae,

Ias

Re: Current status of StAX ME, FIME, and more

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Hi Ias,
>
> I did some performance analysis among various types of implementations
> such as Mirae, Sun's J2ME Web Service Implementation. Here I replaced
> the SAX parser with kxml pull parser and it works better than other
> implementations with low memory consumption.

:-) That's very good news. I'd appreciate your work on that.

> I think the Stax-ME will enhance the performance more. You have
> mentioned that Stax-ME works fine on your phone. Did you integrate it
> with Mirae. I got your new Stax-ME from your web site and tried to
> integrate it with Mirae. But when I run it, I get some Exceptions.

I already had the integration done and even tested FIME (Fast Infoset
ME) on it successfully. I'll soon check it in.

> So, I am looking forward to hear from you regarding the status of
> Stax-ME and I wish it to be committed to the repository soon.

StAX ME, FIME, and their integration to Mirae are basically done. Now
I'm working on creating samples. After tomorrow's speech on Mirae, I
think I will be able to talk about them more ;-).

Cheers,

Ias

Posted by Thavarajah Kurinchikumaran <th...@beyondm.net>.
Hi Ias,