Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/11/18 21:03:24 UTC

Vhosts, common problems

The problem that I'm trying to solve is that people seem to have an
inordinate amount of difficulty with virtual hosts, even though they are
copiously and exhaustively documented.

While I'm reluctant to add yet another doc into the vhost directory, it
occurred to me at some ungodly hour of this morning, that it might be
useful to have a "solving common problems" doc in the vhost docs, where
we could address some of the most frequently encountered problems with
vhosts. Yeah, this is kinda just like a FAQ, and I suppose it would be
structured as one.

It would contain stuff like:

"Can't mix * and non-* vhosts" or whatever that error message is.
Getting the first-listed vhost instead of the one I expected
Getting the same vhost for all requests (probably same as previous one)
Can't get to my "default" or "main" server any more.

This doc would be closely related to the examples doc, and they would
need to be careful not to overlap one another.

On the other hand, if I could just figure out what it is that makes
vhosts so darned difficult for people, maybe we could fix that. But I
suspect it has something to do with their unwillingness to actually read
docs, so this may just be aggravating that situation. *sigh*

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Luiz Rocha <ls...@lsdr.net>.
On Monday 18 November 2002 21:28, Rich Bowen wrote:

> Consider yourself asked. I have a number of things I need to do before
> Wednesday, so that my ApacheCon presentations are not enormously
> embarassing, but I will try to put together a skeleton document.

   No problem, mail me at will. I do my best to help you out.

--
Luiz Rocha <ls...@lsdr.net>
http://lsdr.net/

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Luiz Rocha wrote:

> On Monday 18 November 2002 18:03, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > This doc would be closely related to the examples doc, and they would
> > need to be careful not to overlap one another.
>
>    Sounds great.
>
>    One question. Wouldn't this new doc render the examples doc obsolete? Or
> you'll make it more like a troubleshooting guide than a cookbook?

Yes, it is intended to be a troubleshooting guide, and I expect that it
will contain a number of links into the examples doc.

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Luiz Rocha <ls...@lsdr.net>.

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Rich Bowen wrote:

> On the other hand, if I could just figure out what it is that makes
> vhosts so darned difficult for people, maybe we could fix that. But I
> suspect it has something to do with their unwillingness to actually read
> docs, so this may just be aggravating that situation. *sigh*
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

hmmm, I wonder if some images would help to communicate the basic vhost
principles. Perhaps some nice pictures would make things easier to
understand for newbies (and possibly more attractive?)...

...just to show the fundamentals...and to motivate them to go on with
reading the docs or playing with the examples.

well, just an idea, didn't think thorougly 'bout it ;-)

cheers,
Erik

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> But anyway I would be very
> excited if there would be a modul
> which could grab virtual hosts from
> a sql database because then it would
> be possible (like it is in a very
> unhandy with mod_rewrite or vhost_alias)
> to create vh's dynamically with
> self-written software (like php or something).
> What do you guys think about this?

Take a look at http://www.synthemesc.com/mod_vdbh/.
This should be, what you are looking for.

Kess

RE: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Werner Schalk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I really see the problems you tell us
> about, Rich. But anyway I would be very
> excited if there would be a modul
> which could grab virtual hosts from
> a sql database because then it would
> be possible (like it is in a very
> unhandy with mod_rewrite or vhost_alias)
> to create vh's dynamically with
> self-written software (like php or something).
> What do you guys think about this?

There are things like that at modules.apache.org, I believe. And I think
that such a thing would be pretty easy with mod_perl hooked into the
configuration phase.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI

RE: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Werner Schalk <we...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

I really see the problems you tell us
about, Rich. But anyway I would be very
excited if there would be a modul
which could grab virtual hosts from
a sql database because then it would
be possible (like it is in a very
unhandy with mod_rewrite or vhost_alias)
to create vh's dynamically with
self-written software (like php or something).
What do you guys think about this?

Bye and thanks,
Werner
(who would kindly be involved in such
a project!)

Re: Vhosts, common problems

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> The problem that I'm trying to solve is that people seem to have an
> inordinate amount of difficulty with virtual hosts, even though they are
> copiously and exhaustively documented.

I've been through them myself many times.  They about as clear as I can
make them.  VirtualHosts are not simple, because they are very flexible.
The basic configuration is, however, quite simple.

> While I'm reluctant to add yet another doc into the vhost directory, it
> occurred to me at some ungodly hour of this morning, that it might be
> useful to have a "solving common problems" doc in the vhost docs, where
> we could address some of the most frequently encountered problems with
> vhosts. Yeah, this is kinda just like a FAQ, and I suppose it would be
> structured as one.

Sure, sounds fine to me.  You can either make this a section of the vhost
docs, or make a page in the (now essentially empty) 2.0 FAQ.  I'd probably
prefer the first option.

Joshua.