Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Gibney <mi...@michaelgibney.net> on 2019/07/24 13:57:06 UTC

Facet count cache (Solr)

I'm interested in caching facet counts, keyed to query/DocSet domain (like
filterCache, but caching facet counts instead of DocSets).

Trying not to open a duplicate issue, I found SOLR-1617
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1617>, but I wasn't clear on
whether it's applicable, or whether it's about maintaining per-segment UIF
data structures (which could be considered a type of cache).

I'd appreciate any guidance/suggestions on how to proceed -- revive
SOLR-1617, or open a new issue; thanks!

Michael

ps- A version of the functionality I'm interested in is implemented and
folded in to SOLR-13132 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13132> (as
a prerequisite for performance on that issue). But I think I may have
buried the lead by including it there, since sort-by-relatedness is a
relatively specialized use case, and a facet cache is more generally
useful. The cache as implemented for SOLR-13132 is compatible across
SimpleFacets and JSON facets, and is segment-aware (so should be
NRT-friendly). It's particularly useful for high-cardinality fields and
high-cardinality DocSet domains (e.g., facets on a main landing page).

Re: Facet count cache (Solr)

Posted by Michael Gibney <mi...@michaelgibney.net>.
Thank you, David! I'll take another look at the existing per-segment caches
and hopefully create a new issue soon.
Michael

Re: Facet count cache (Solr)

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.