Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Sandeep K <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/23 08:58:44 UTC

Lucene write locks

Hi all..
I had a question related to the write locks created by Lucene.
I use Lucene 2.3.2. Will this newwer version create locks while indexing as
older ones?
or is there any other way that lucene handles its operations?

And my another doubt is that i use JMS for lucene indexing.
My App server will not do indexing but will pass the needed data for
indexing to the JMS server.
will there be any problem in indexing as its asynchronous?
plz help me..

thanks and regards,
Sand.

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
It's not enough to have a synchronized block only, unless eg within
the synchronized block you open the IndexWriter, add docs, close it.

Basically, you must also ensure only one instance of IndexWriter is
open at once.

If you try to open another instance of IndexWriter while a previous
instance is still open, you'll get that LockObtainFailedException.

Alternatively, on hitting that exception you could pause & retry a bit
later if you want.  But that solution is non-optimal because you are
inserting unnecessary delay in when a document gets indexed.

Mike

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Sandeep K <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Sandeep K <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Michael,

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Sandeep K <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Mike,

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
This looks like a CLASSPATH issue.  You need to make sure whatever jar
contains that class is in the CLASSPATH when you run that line.

Mike

Re: Lucene write locks

Posted by Sandeep K <sa...@gmail.com>.
I have another problem also.