Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Virantha <su...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/24 01:16:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Access Verification denied although Valid-User

Hello,
[ I'm running Apache 2.0.47 running on XP;), on
localhost:8081 ]
And thus when tested, I DO get a User Name/Password
Verification prompt but when given the right details
(U:v, P:v), Explorer requests twice more before I get
the 401 Authorization required page.

I have setup my site at
/htdocs/
and have the subfolder 'secret' that I want access
verfication enabled to.

I have got the <Directory> directive setup in my
server config file to read from the file:
/htdocs/passwd/password
Here follows this directive:
<Directory "d:/program files/Apache
Group/Apache2/htdocs/secret">
	AllowOverride None
	AuthType Basic
	AuthName "Restricted Files"
	AuthUserFile
"d:/progra~1/Apache~1/Apach2/htdocs/passwd/password"
	Require Valid-User
</Directory>

I have also used the tool "htpasswd.exe" to generate
the ID:Password (Win32 does so in MD5, I believe)

Here is a brief look at the error.log file:
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] (OS 3)The system cannot
find the path specified.  : Could not open password
file: D:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apach2/htdocs/passwd/password, referer:
http://localhost:8081/
[Mon Nov 24 12:01:25 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
user v not found: /secret/index.html, referer:
http://localhost:8081/

Thanks for reading thus far! It would be greatly
appreciated if you have any suggestion on solving
this.

Cheers,
Virantha

ps. I have created the password file a number of times
thinking that something is corrupt but to no avail.
Also have given full access to the password file in
XP.
I have also tried with a Blank password ie. v:

Re: [users@httpd] Access Verification denied although Valid-User

Posted by Virantha <su...@yahoo.com>.
Joshua,
(ow man what a silly mistake)
Thanks so much for the prompt reply and it worked!
:)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.