Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Anders Forsgren <an...@digitalfarmers.com> on 2004/05/06 20:10:49 UTC

How to make a simple news/updates list

Hi
Im trying to add a simple list of text/xml chunks  to my cocoon site.
(which could be used for example as a list of news/site
updates/guestbook posts etc.).
Doing this with esql seems relatively easy, but it also seems overkill
to run a database process just to keep a single list of xml chunks.
Also, I'd like the site to be movable to another cocoon server without
configuring any database servers and so on at the new location, that is:
the data has to be stored inside the webapp directory.

So far I have considered these methods:

- raw xml data files. Edit file in text editor to add data, or use the
SourceWritingTransformer if I need a web form.
- embedded sql database (can hsqldb be completely internal to the webapp
like xindice-embed is?)
- embedded xindice. Haven't had any success with this, but it feels like
the best solution. Has anyone seen any simple example apps (like for
example a guestbook) using embedded xindice in cocoon?

Any recommendations or links are appreciated...

rgds
Anders

AW: How to make a simple news/updates list

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.
hi anders,

based on these requirements I don't see why you'd currently need more than a
raw xml data files solution. if you can foresee a need for more
flexilibility in the future you might want to hide that access mechanism
behind a corresponding contract/interface.

never forget: KISS ;-)