Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2005/08/03 07:23:54 UTC

Splitting commit messages and dev messages

As it stands, it appears that all SVN commit messages are automatically
forwarded to the developer list.  Some people, like me, are not all that
interested in the commit messages.  I propose that we turn off the
forwarding.

How this should be done is to automatically subscribe everyone in the
dev list to the SVN list then, turn off forwarding; this way the status
quo is maintained.

I recommend that future subscribers of the dev list do not get
automatically subscribed to the SVN list as this practice seems unorthodox.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Splitting commit messages and dev messages

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@dashorst.dds.nl>.
Mark Hobson wrote:

>+1 to splitting the lists - I've currently set up gmail to filter svn,
>repoclean and continuum emails straight to trash ;)

Dito here.

Just for the record and to show that it is not totally unheard of, on
the Wicket project we have also split the lists:
 - user
 - developer
 - autocvs
 - builds

The potential for autocvs and builds messages to flood the developer
list is quite high, so we decided to seperate them into their own lists.

>I'm interested in the development discussions, but I'm not a maven developer.

So am I.

Martijn

Re: Splitting commit messages and dev messages

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 to splitting the lists - I've currently set up gmail to filter svn,
repoclean and continuum emails straight to trash ;)

I'm interested in the development discussions, but I'm not a maven developer.

Mark

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
OK. Let's call for a vote on this list then.

Cheers,
Stéphane

On 8/6/05, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> They are not interesting to everyone.  And I am not suggesting that they
> be totally removed, just moved to their own list where people who are
> interested in them can subscribe to them.
>
> While your work around would work, it is still a work around.
> Splitting the traffic would be better done by putting the commit
> messages back into their own mailing list.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> Stephane Nicoll wrote, On 8/3/2005 12:12 AM:
>
> >Alan,
> >
> >All mail clients support the creation of rules. I am personnaly using
> >gmail and have a forwarding rule to a specific folder for SVN commit.
> >
> >I could be the trahsh bin in your case :-)
> >
> >SVN commits are interesting to the dev list, I would not suggest to remove them.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Stéphane
> >
> >On 8/3/05, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> >

> >>As it stands, it appears that all SVN commit messages are automatically
> >>forwarded to the developer list.  Some people, like me, are not all that
> >>interested in the commit messages.  I propose that we turn off the
> >>forwarding.
> >>
> >>How this should be done is to automatically subscribe everyone in the
> >>dev list to the SVN list then, turn off forwarding; this way the status
> >>quo is maintained.
> >>
> >>I recommend that future subscribers of the dev list do not get
> >>automatically subscribed to the SVN list as this practice seems unorthodox.
> >>

> >>Regards,
> >>Alan

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: Splitting commit messages and dev messages

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Alan,

All mail clients support the creation of rules. I am personnaly using
gmail and have a forwarding rule to a specific folder for SVN commit.

I could be the trahsh bin in your case :-)

SVN commits are interesting to the dev list, I would not suggest to remove them.

Cheers,
Stéphane

On 8/3/05, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> As it stands, it appears that all SVN commit messages are automatically
> forwarded to the developer list.  Some people, like me, are not all that
> interested in the commit messages.  I propose that we turn off the
> forwarding.
>
> How this should be done is to automatically subscribe everyone in the
> dev list to the SVN list then, turn off forwarding; this way the status
> quo is maintained.
>
> I recommend that future subscribers of the dev list do not get
> automatically subscribed to the SVN list as this practice seems unorthodox.
>

> Regards,
> Alan

.::You're welcome ::.