Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/05/01 00:43:11 UTC

[Fwd: Apologies (was Re: formation@anyware-tech.com)]

[Forwarded from cocoon-dev as many people here also may be concerned]

Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Am i the only one who has received unsollicited cocoon related
> advertisement mail from anyware-tech on several email addresses?
> I believe it's a cocoon related company from one of the committers here.

Folks, I would like to apologize about the ad/spam many of you have
received today, and that I discovered this afternoon while being at a
customer site (the customer received the spam and is also on
cocoon-{users,dev}).

The company I work for not only does some projects with Cocoon, but also
proposes additional consulting and training services around it. You know
that for a long time if you ever looked at my signature.

We recently hired a new commercial guy to expand this consulting
activity. He asked me if he could grab some email adresses on the cocoon
lists to send an announcement about an upcoming training session. I told
him to be very careful about this and be sure to select only
french-speaking people, furthermore considering that training requires
physical presence and that I don't want to spend my life in airports. I
expected him to show me that list before sending anything.

Not only hadn't I a chance to review the list (I was away from office
for two days), but it also appears that the guy was very lazy at doing
some fine grained selection and sent this message in a spammy way (send
to many in order to be sure not to miss any potentially interested
people). There were some public reactions here, and I also received
several private emails from people being either offended or surprised by
this.

I sincerely and deeply apologize for what happened. Monday morning, I'll
had a strong explanation with this guy, so that he learns once for all
some of the rules of the opensource world. Some of these rules also are
no different from that of the "real" world: gaining trust and confidence
from other people is a long and difficult task, and loosing it can
happen very fast. I don't want to loose the trust and confidence of the
Cocoon community, which has been so important to me for many years.
Today is the 3rd birthday of me becoming a Cocoon committer. Sad birthday.

Nevertheless, a lot of people are doing their lives with Cocoon, and
it's very difficult to get in touch with Cocoon users. How could we do
this in a community-friendly way? Sending announcements to -users
doesn't seem more appropriate to me than spamming grabbed email
addresses. I'm very interested in hearing your opinions and starting a
discussion about the relations of the Cocoon community and the people
that provide some commercial services around it.

Sylvain

PS: I was first thinking of sending this email from my work email
address, but finally chose to use my apache address since these
apologies come from a member of the Cocoon community that felt offended
by this.