Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2010/09/10 20:50:16 UTC

policy on upgrading libraries in release branches(bug with prototype and IE8)

We had a client report a problem with IE8 when viewing an orderlist.
This was tracked down to bug in prototype.  The version in ofbiz is
1.6.0.2.  There is a 1.6.0.3 version, which was release *before*
09.04.  1.6.1 is current, released Sept. 1, 2009, after 09.04.

I have tracked down the actual commit that fixes it, at
http://github.com/sstephenson/prototype/commits/9787801f0619f4ac67e48ed632956e9957baad9e

I can backport just the diff(it's quite small), or I can upgrade the
library to 1.6.1, which includes the fix.  But I don't know what the
correct policy is for issues like this.

Re: policy on upgrading libraries in release branches(bug with prototype and IE8)

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
That's an interesting dilemma. I searched through all of the policies and can't find one that covers this, so I guess we need more policies. Oh wait, if might be sufficient to handle this with a discussion and, if necessary, a vote.

However it's done, I agree with the idea of fixing all bugs in release branches, including those caused by a library. It would be nice to do full revision (stable release) updates of libraries to make things easier to keep track of. On the other hand, it increases the chances of causing other problems in the branch. IMO the first is more important than the second and we can always debug and fix any other problems caused, but keeping track of patches from other libraries (especially if they are binary) would basically mean branching those libraries and that would be a pain.

-David

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Personnaly I would go for 1.6.1. There are numerous fixes and it's supposed to work better. Notably we can expect better behaviour
under IE. For instance currently the lookup autocompletion does not work under IE8. I don't know if it's fixed in 1.6.1 though. It's
related to Element.fire and I did not find any evidences on the Net.

Jacques

From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>