Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by dsh <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/17 18:25:58 UTC

Re: Early Bird Registration is open for ApacheCon Europe!

+1 to that and...

1) Don't compare conferences such as ApacheCon with a one week 5*
vacation somewhere in the Mediterranean or in the Red Sea - there's
absolute NO relationship between the two!!!
2) Consider the TAC!
3) Don't make this an AOO-specific or -only issue. If it's an issue at
all it applies to every individual planning to attend.

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 18/08/2012 dsh wrote:
> Consider this a great opportunity for give back and
> networking! If the ASF TAC [1] isn't a well known institution amongst
> your fellow ASF community members make a change to the better by
> spreading the word.

We are, but it didn't help to have admission fees announced (with
significant delay) to committers 12 hours before TAC applications closed
(with unchanged deadlines), and just in the middle of an OpenOffice
release vote. OpenOffice committers will learn from this, but
circumstances didn't help this time.

> One final word - by the attending a conference versus having a nice
> vacation comparison you are really wakening your own point cause one
> could question whether your intentions in this matter are true and
> honest.

You are not referring to me, of course. I never wrote that or anything
similar to that. And if by "you" you are referring to "OpenOffice
committers in general", I honestly don't think it is right to
generalize. It would have been fair of you to explicitly CC the person
who wrote that.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Early Bird Registration is open for ApacheCon Europe!

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.
Well personally, considering what you have said and what already has
been said before I feel even more tempted to state it with JFK [1]:
Ask not what the open source community and specifically the ASF can do
for you - ask what you can do for the open source community and the
ASF in particular. Consider this a great opportunity for give back and
networking! If the ASF TAC [1] isn't a well known institution amongst
your fellow ASF community members make a change to the better by
spreading the word. I know other individuals from the past who really
tried very hard to attend ApacheCon events in the US and they actually
sacrificed much to achieve that goal cause they were from countries
with a developing economy. So I truly believe that German citizen
should be able to make it to ApacheCon EU in Sinsheim if considering
all of the various possibilities and options at hand even if there's a
conference fee. So IMO it's really our obligation, and not solely the
obligation of the ASF, to work together and make that happen.

One final word - by the attending a conference versus having a nice
vacation comparison you are really wakening your own point cause one
could question whether your intentions in this matter are true and
honest. That's why a emphasized that to me such a comparison is a
false comparison.

[1] http://youtu.be/sURNP5PRiMI
[2] http://www.apache.org/travel/

Cheers