Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org> on 2017/04/11 09:02:56 UTC

Move documentation from readme.io to GitHub pages

Igniters,

Currently we host documentation on
apacheignite.readme.io (and also apacheignite-net.readme.io,
apacheignite-cpp.readme.io, apacheignite-mix.readme.io, etc).

readme.io has a lot of problems mostly due to lack of proper version
control:
* Each "version" is just a copy. When fixing something, you have to update
all versions.
* No good way to review changes.
* "Propose edit" functionality is a joke. You can only accept or reject an
edit, no way to communicate with contributor, etc

GitHub Pages solves all these problems:
https://github.com/blog/2233-publish-your-project-documentation-with-github-pages

Basically, we'll have a separate folder in our Git repository where
documentation is stored in markdown format.
This way the process for updating docs is exactly the same as any other
code change.
Pull request with new feature can contain the docs for this feature, and so
on.

Thoughts?

Re: Move documentation from readme.io to GitHub pages

Posted by Igor Sapego <is...@apache.org>.
Pavel,

I totally agree with you, but what about documentations for different
versions? How do you suppose to solve this problem with GitHub pages?

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.
I did a very shallow research on Jekyll. Work flow seemed similar to
Docusaurus but more flexible in terms of directory structure- how docs can
be placed in the repo (Docusaurus requires docs to be stored in a
particular directory structure), as well as sidebar menu ( Docusaurus does
not allow child pages). Additionally, if so many open source projects are
using Jekyll, then I think it's definitely worth a try.

-Prachi

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Copied from the ticket.

*Feature*

*Docusaurus*

*GitBook*

*Free*

Yes (FaceBook open source project)

Yes (Free version only allows 5 contributors)

*Setup and Installation*

Easy installation and configuration steps.

Initial setup is easy; Need to look around for customization.

*Standard Markdown*

Yes

Yes

*Versioning*

Yes (automatic)

Yes (via github branching)

*Search*

Yes

Yes

*Table of contents for pages*

Yes (out-of-the-box)

No (Default theme does not support it; maybe availble through external
plugin)

*Support child pages*

No

Yes

*Allows website design customization*

Yes

Limited; Use external theme plugins.

*Top Nav bar & Footer*

Yes

No

*Live server(localhost) to view changes*

Yes

Yes

*Tab navigation on pages*

No tab navigation support out-of-the box.

Note: It is possible to create tabs using external React JS plugin or
implementing a React component. For example, React Native uses Docusaurus
and have implemented tabs-
http://facebook.github.io/react-native/docs/getting-started.html

No tab navigation support out-of-the box.

Note: It is possible to create tabs using external GitBook plugins.

*Publishing the website*

Publish the documentation site to Github pages or other static file hosts.

Publish the documentation site to git.gitbook.io (or custom domain) or
other static file hosts.

*Store all markdown files on github*

Yes

Yes

*Editor*

Use text editor. Alternatively, IntelliJ can be used, it has a plugin for
Markdown.

Provides desktop and online editor.

*Active support and development*

Yes. Facebook engineers are pretty responsive!

Hmm.. some people are wondering if they are still alive :-)

Prachi, thanks for the research and summary. I cast my ballot for
Docusaurus. It has much more prominent benefits over

GitBook such as a table of content, more advanced visual customization,
ability to edit from IntelliJ, and support by Facebook

engineers -- probably that's the way for Ignite to get installed at
Facebook in the future.

--
Denis

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by endianignite <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
Alexey, yes, cherry-pick to branches and update website for each version as
well (this can be automated with a script)
Still a bit cumbersome, but at least you don't have to make the same edit
multiple times.

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.
Pavel,

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Dmitriy,

We will do a research before jumping off the readme.io <http://readme.io/> train.

In addition, to the technical issues outlined in the ticket, readme.io <http://readme.io/> doesn’t give a way to tell Google “Hey, Google, index only the latest docs' version! Ignore specific versions”. As a result, the Internet is flooded with Ignite 1.1, 1.7, 1.9 versions of the pages that pop up at the top of the search. You know this annoying thing better than me :)

—

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
Good news, Denis.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7595 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7595>

—

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I hate to be that guy, but mentors warned this very project no to do
this in the first place. At least once [1] on the dev@, and a few
times off-line

[1] https://is.gd/ZRPOrH

Cos

--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Pavel,

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Pavel,

I totally agree that it’s becoming more and more inconvenient to run the documentation on readme.io <http://readme.io/>. At the same time the Git approach is no way to go for us because all the documentation has to be hosted on ASF side. Presently we violate this policy and I look forward we fix it pretty soon.

https://zeppelin.apache.org/contribution/documentation.html <https://zeppelin.apache.org/contribution/documentation.html>