Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2012/10/02 12:42:53 UTC

Committing bugs to svn

Hi,

I apologize for this but, I have looked in quite a few places and
missed the whole release cycle with 4.8.

Could someone steer me to emails or something that says how a
committer is supposed to take a JIRA task, fix it in their local code
base and where to commit that code.

I see the patches directory in the repo, I'm guessing I would apply
commits against that for now and then they get merged into the trunk
down the road?

Looking through some of the JIRA bugs, I know some probably can't be
fixed from experience, can I close them or do I have to create a
dialog(comment) on the bug first to see if it would get any responses.

Also, I have skimmed through the huge GIT conversations, can someone
recap what is going on with GIT in a paragraph?

Again, I apologize for the lame questions, I just happened to step out
at the wrong time. :)

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Michael Schmalle
<ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
> ...Maybe someday a committer in the know could put up a wiki page for
> committers asking these same questions...

Yeah, that's what I meant - if it's important (and this definitely
is), that info shouldn't be buried in emails.

-Bertrand

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

There was a vote[1] a while back and it was decided to go with this:

With the addition of cherry picking from develop to trunk when making a release. However we've not migrated to git yet so have to commit via SVN.

Basically all work need to be done in the SVN "develop" branch[2] and that will be merged with trunk when making a release.

Currently there's github mirrors [3] of the SVN repositories that you can use (see http://git.apache.org for full list), but they are read only. Note that the git patch format is slightly different to SVN format so you need use patch -p1 to apply any git patches to SVN.

If you like working in github there's a couple of issues still to resolve (eg closing pull requests) but it currently possible. [4]

From what I can see the Git migration has stalled as no one has stepped forward with the right set of skills (git admin and python) and time to push it forward.

Thanks,
Justin

1 http://markmail.org/message/2kklqltsdo4643lv
2 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/sdk/branches/develop
3 git://git.apache.org/flex-sdk.git
4 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33175

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/2/12 5:43 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:

> Yeah, that was for people saying I didn't do my homework. :)
>
> I'm just a bit confused as to what and where I am committing things
> with the patches branch there. It doesn't seem like people are
> committing to trunk.
Hopefully you have signed up for flex-commits mailing list.  You will see
that almost all activity is in the "develop" branch.

> I'm not exactly understanding the mustella tests and "when you have to
> write a test". As well as committing something and making sure tests
> don't break. I have not run the tests and it dosn't look that simple
> to run.
There is no "qa" team any more so we are going to have to rely on
Test-Driven Development.  That generally means that new/changed code should
be accompanied by tests, either in Mustella or FlexUnit.  There is a
Mustella Overview on the wiki, and we are open to feedback on how to make it
better.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Committing bugs to svn

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/2/12 3:42 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:

> Looking through some of the JIRA bugs, I know some probably can't be
> fixed from experience, can I close them or do I have to create a
> dialog(comment) on the bug first to see if it would get any responses.

I would provide detail why it can't be fixed when you close it.  If someone
objects, they can email or add another comment.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team