Posted to watchdog-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "HO,ELWIN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <el...@hp.com> on 2001/10/13 01:40:34 UTC

watchdog for tomcat 3.x

Hi,
I want to use watchdog to test against the Tomcat 3.x. I can only find
watchdog 4.0 from http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/ . Seems watchdog 4.0 is
used to test JSP 1.2 and Servlet 2.3. Can I use it to test Tomcat 3.3?
Question:
If not, is there any way I can get the older version of watchdog that can
test servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1?

Thanks
Elwin Ho

Re: watchdog for tomcat 3.x

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.
Elwin,

There is/was? a 2.2/1.1 watchdog implementation and I'm sure somebody
from jakarta will be able to point you at it.

However a few words of warning about it.   I used it to test my 2.2
servlet container and while I found it reasonably good (and it flushed
out several important issues), it did have a few tests that tested what
tomcat did rather than what the spec said.

When I raised these issues I got little feedback other than from
others who had found the same thing.    I got the strong feeling that
watchdog 3 was an orphan child and that all the effort was going
into watchdog 4.

So do use it, but analyse each failure against the spec in detail.

I'm expecting that watchdog 4 will be a lot better and at least looks
like it has active developers caring for it.  Pity I have not caught
up with the servlet spec yet....

regards

--
Greg Wilkins<gr...@mortbay.com>          GB  Phone: +44-(0)7092063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.    Mbl Phone: +61-(0)4 17786631