Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2018/04/19 15:54:59 UTC

[feature model] Plans for launcher/tooling

Hi,

I've been giving the feature model a drive for the experimental CLI
sync tool [1] and I like it so far!

A couple of usability/roadmap questions:

1. What concrete plans are there to support launching besides the
feature-launcher jar?

I see SFL020 - Tooling must support runtime launching of an application
at [2] but it's not clear if the current state (jar file) is enough.
IMO a Maven-based launcher would help as well.

2. Are there plans to create 'fat' jars that contains the needed
artifacts and expand when running?

I see SFP020 - Tooling must be able to convert a feature to an Apache
Sling Provisioning Model Archive at [2], but I guess that a
provisioning model archive is our starter.jar, which means we embed the
launchad.base and possibly some other sling-specific artifacts.

I would be very happy with a dumber jar that just extracts the bundles
and launches the framework.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-ide-tooling/tree/master/cli/dist
[2]: https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/blob/master/featuremode
l/requirements.md

Re: [feature model] Plans for launcher/tooling

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2018-04-19 at 18:48 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I think at some point we can decommission launchpad and the current
> way
> of launching. The launcher of the feature model is a very small, bare
> minimum launcher. To close the gap, we just need some tooling that
> bundles this launcher with all the required artifacts and a little
> code
> which extracts the artifacts on startup and then calls the launcher.
>
> Or in other words, yes I think such a launcher is on the agenda

Great, thanks for confirming that.

Robert

Re: [feature model] Plans for launcher/tooling

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I think at some point we can decommission launchpad and the current way
of launching. The launcher of the feature model is a very small, bare
minimum launcher. To close the gap, we just need some tooling that
bundles this launcher with all the required artifacts and a little code
which extracts the artifacts on startup and then calls the launcher.

Or in other words, yes I think such a launcher is on the agenda

Regards

Carsten

Robert Munteanu wrote

--