Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> on 2012/03/01 08:07:41 UTC

Re: Subversion for object code

Helmut Zeisel wrote on Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41:13 +0100:
> My interpretation of this is that "representation-sharing" works well
> enough for compiled C++ code, i.e. if I change 2% of source code and
> commit the changed objects and libs, then typically a comparable
> amount (+/- 2%) of the object code is additionally added to the
> repostory and the remaining +/- 98% can be reused from previously
> committed object code.

Representation sharing works only on complete files.  (If two files are
not byte-for-byte identical, it never kicks in.)  What you see would be
the xdelta binary-diff algorithm being efficient.

Re: Subversion for object code

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Helmut Zeisel wrote on Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:28:16 +0100:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 09:07:41 +0200
> > Von: Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>
>
> > Representation sharing works only on complete files.  (If two files are
> > not byte-for-byte identical, it never kicks in.)  What you see would be
> > the xdelta binary-diff algorithm being efficient.
>
> OK.
>
> Does this mean that svn uses internally the same algorithm as xdelta (http://code.google.com/p/xdelta/)

I don't know offhand how close our implementation is to other
implementations or to research papers.  There are some comments in
subversion/libsvn_delta/xdelta.c (lines 35 and 370) that suggest some
divergence from other sources.

CC'ing dev@ so people who know this code better can join the
conversation.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.