Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> on 2014/12/02 23:51:09 UTC

[VFS] Release Preparations 2.1 (again)

Hello,

ok, lets start another try to get VFS released. (and refresh my
memories who is volunteering for the RM? - I would do it but I think we
need a PMC at close hand).

Currently are 3 open blocker bugs, for one I have a patch pending, the
other two I am inclined to downgrade when nobody takes care of
them: They affect only a specific usecase, I am not sure if they are
regressions at all (I dont want to discourage anybody to solve them,
but I will not invest time before the release).

I am not so familiar with all of the Release Process, so I hope
somebody will help me, preferable from the PMC?

Ralph summarized, what he remebers is needed, I want to comment on
it:

 Am Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:54:42 -0700 schrieb Ralph Goers
<ra...@dslextreme.com>:

> I acted as release manager for 2.0.  I did that because at the time I
> had a need for Commons VFS, I had a need to fix a bunch of stuff that
> didn’t work in 1.0, and I had the necessary privileges to do it.
> Since that time I have been focused on Log4j 2 almost completely with
> what little time I have.  I have seen others commit fixes and
> enhancements and like you, I have been surprised that no one has
> bothered to perform a release. It should have happened a long time
> ago.
>
> One challenge to releasing VFS is that unlike most Commons projects,
> it is a multi-module project and it uses the Maven release plugin to
> perform a release. While this makes things a bit more complicated it
> still isn’t that hard to do.

Actually so much time has passed, that it does no longer look hard for
you. But when I look at the svn, I see no RC tags, a 2.0 tag which
does not fit the 1.0 naming conventions, I see 12 tries to actually
release the project (and quite a few rollbacks or tag copies). I would
not call this "not hard". But I do agree, your writeup helps, and it
should be possible (at least with PMC help). I tried to follow the
release tries in the archives, thats helpfull too.

> Unfortunately, I don’t believe I
> documented the release process but it should be similar to
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide
> <http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide>, since I based
> the Log4j build and release process after VFS.

Before we do this, a couple of questions:

- how hard is it to delete tags from SVN and who can do that? I know
  from experience with the release plugin that you typically need to
  delete the tag multiple times to get things right. So it would be
  good if somebody is available to do that on demand. And will we
  actually tag each RC with the release version and modify this, or
  will we have RC tags in the pom and

- do we maven-release RCs with the plugin? Is it ok if I cut the first
  RC myself? Ralph used Nexus staging. Can I get access to one which
  is set up for commons, or should a ask INFRA to prepare one?

- I haven't found requirements (besides commiter-owned) on the build
  environment, do we use OpenJDK or OracleJDK. Is Windows acceptable?
  (I think we are talking Java 6 here)

- is a 3kbit key fine for code signing?

- I would actually prefer to release before moving jcifs into core. If
  somebody wants to see it released with 2.1, then please provide a
  patch. I think the only solution would be a default-off profile with
  an optional LPGL dinary nor source will pull in this dependency by
  default.

- I would not care for Java 8 compile. Or actually: yes it compiles but
  the site built might not completely work.

In parallel to that I will start a discussion on the Clirr report. I
did that in the past and I will make a spreadsheet so we can work
sharedly on marking things as reviewed or critical.

(the last time i tried to discuss it, I had uploaded:
http://people.apache.org/~ecki/commons-vfs/commons-vfs2/clirr-report.html
)

Greetings
Bernd

Re: [VFS] Release Preparations 2.1 (again)

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello Dave,

the Wiki page reflects my current progress. I am not aware of any
blocker bugs (besides VFS-498), but I havent scanned for new ones I must
admit.

What really needs to be done is to craft a compatibility-announcement
justifying the Clirr report differences and maybe cleanup the
checkstyle and JIRA report mess on the site.

VFS-498 might not be a blocker, but then again unless the other work is
done there is some time to fix it, anyway :)

I also think we should merge the patches which have been come up in
some of the bugs in the last few weeks. I am just not very deep into
the FTP part of the code.

Gruss
Bernd

 Am Wed, 8 Apr 2015 15:12:08 +0000 (UTC) schrieb
dlmarion@comcast.net:

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
When VFS went from 1.0 to 2.0 the API was not compatible. This meant the package names had to change and the groupId/artifactId in the pom had to be different.  If the new release is compatible with the prior release I would keep the naming conventions the same. Otherwise you run the risk of people mistakenly including both jars thinking they are different.

Ralph

AW: [VFS] Release Preparations 2.1 (again)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ok, lets start another try to get VFS released. (and refresh my
> memories who is volunteering for the RM? - I would do it but I think we
> need a PMC at close hand).
>
> Currently are 3 open blocker bugs, for one I have a patch pending, the
> other two I am inclined to downgrade when nobody takes care of
> them: They affect only a specific usecase, I am not sure if they are
> regressions at all (I dont want to discourage anybody to solve them,
> but I will not invest time before the release).
>
> I am not so familiar with all of the Release Process, so I hope
> somebody will help me, preferable from the PMC?
>

> Ralph summarized, what he remebers is needed, I want to comment on
> it:
>

>  Am Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:54:42 -0700 schrieb Ralph Goers
> <ra...@dslextreme.com>:
>
> > I acted as release manager for 2.0.  I did that because at the time I
> > had a need for Commons VFS, I had a need to fix a bunch of stuff that
> > didn’t work in 1.0, and I had the necessary privileges to do it.
> > Since that time I have been focused on Log4j 2 almost completely with
> > what little time I have.  I have seen others commit fixes and
> > enhancements and like you, I have been surprised that no one has
> > bothered to perform a release. It should have happened a long time
> > ago.
> >
> > One challenge to releasing VFS is that unlike most Commons projects,
> > it is a multi-module project and it uses the Maven release plugin to
> > perform a release. While this makes things a bit more complicated it
> > still isn’t that hard to do.
>
> Actually so much time has passed, that it does no longer look hard for
> you. But when I look at the svn, I see no RC tags, a 2.0 tag which
> does not fit the 1.0 naming conventions, I see 12 tries to actually
> release the project (and quite a few rollbacks or tag copies). I would
> not call this "not hard". But I do agree, your writeup helps, and it
> should be possible (at least with PMC help). I tried to follow the
> release tries in the archives, thats helpfull too.
>
> > Unfortunately, I don’t believe I
> > documented the release process but it should be similar to
> > http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide
> > <http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide>, since I based
> > the Log4j build and release process after VFS.
>

> Before we do this, a couple of questions:
>
> - how hard is it to delete tags from SVN and who can do that?

You should not delete tags from SVN. If you can commit, you can manage tags
and branches AFAIK. IMO, the process should be that we VOTE on an RC tag,
if the vote passes the RC tag is copied to a release tag. If it fails, you
try again with a new RC tag. The tags live in SVN as a record of what we
VOTEd on.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

[VFS-180] merging? (was: [VFS] Release Preparations 2.1 (again))

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Am Wed, 03 Dec 2014 01:55:40 +0300
schrieb Alex <al...@zoho.com>:

> Is there a chance to get VFS-180 in 2.1?

Yes, of course. Looking through the patches I don't think it is
particular complicated (but also I see some things I would do
differently from 2012/04/24 14:04.)

Instead of
`name.getScheme().equals("webdav") ? "http" : "https"` I would more
factor in the provider type. Maybe forcefully use http or https based
on the provider only (or allow a auto detection somehow?).

The main thing open is I guess, it should really set up a WebDavS test
server and run built-in provider tests automatically.

Please review, is this actually doing certificate checking and
especially host name checking?

And I am not sure if 2 filename parsers are needed. Can we just use the
base Http(s)NameParsers?

Generally speaking: I guess there are many things wanting to be merged
and I would rather have soon a 2.2 (once we know how to do it) than
spending more time on the bugs.

Gruss
Bernd

Posted by Alex <al...@zoho.com>.
> [...]

> - I haven't found requirements (besides commiter-owned) on the build
>    environment, do we use OpenJDK or OracleJDK. Is Windows acceptable?
>    (I think we are talking Java 6 here)
>
> - is a 3kbit key fine for code signing?
>
> - I would actually prefer to release before moving jcifs into core. If
>    somebody wants to see it released with 2.1, then please provide a
>    patch. I think the only solution would be a default-off profile with
>    an optional LPGL dinary nor source will pull in this dependency by
>    default.
>
> - I would not care for Java 8 compile. Or actually: yes it compiles but
>    the site built might not completely work.
>

> In parallel to that I will start a discussion on the Clirr report. I
> did that in the past and I will make a spreadsheet so we can work
> sharedly on marking things as reviewed or critical.
>
> (the last time i tried to discuss it, I had uploaded:

/--Regards, Alex/