Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ide Roth <Id...@trw.com> on 2002/09/04 15:57:03 UTC

Bounced mail problem

Hi,
  I''ve been having problem with bounced mail.  I've tried to send out an email to a bad address on a remote server.  The section
I've uncomment is in the error process:
   <!-- If you want to notify the postmaster that a message was marked
          as spam, uncomment this -->
          <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster">
          </mailet>
So the postmaster(vkb@iroth) is notify of the bounced email.

It seems that the bounced message being put into the error folder and from there it is trying notify the sender instead of the postmaster.
The orignial message should be in the error folder and from there it should try to notify the postmaster.  Could someone tell me what
I'm doing wrong?

Please Help.

Here is the orginal message I sent out:
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:42:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: ide@iroth
To: rothxxx@irothx
Subject: JavaMail APIs Test

This is a message body.
Here's the second line.
*******************end of message*********************************************

This is the message that was put into the error folder:
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:43:52 -0400
From: vkb@iroth
To: ide@iroth
Subject: Re: JavaMail APIs Test

------=_Part_0_9442359.1031147031746

Hi. This is the James mail server at IROTH.

rothxxx@irothx
No route found to irothx

The original message is attached.

This is the message that was sent to the postmaster(vkb@iroth):
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:43:52 -0400
From: vkb@iroth
To: vkb@iroth

------=_Part_1_14105722.1031147032116

We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an error in the mail server.

Message details:
  Sent date: Wed Sep 04 09:43:52 EDT 2002
  MAIL FROM: vkb@iroth
  RCPT TO: ide@iroth

RE: Bounced mail problem

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
As I mentioned yesterday, RemoteDelivery.bounce() is currently hardcoded
behavior.  In the event of a delivery failure, RemoteDelivery.failMessage()
sets the state to ERROR, and then calls the bounce() method, which will
bounce the e-mail to the originator, using either the Return-Path header or
the Reply-To header.  So the sender will be notified of the bounce
regardless.

However, with respect to your postmaster notification, there are separate
processors labeled "error" and "spam" in the default configuration.  The
"error" processor mistakenly has comments saying "spam" in it (probably cut
& paste), so I can't tell from your message which one you changed.  Did you
change the error processor or the spam processor?  Look for the name
attribute on the <processor> tag.

	--- Noel