Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2000/11/20 19:27:48 UTC

Code reorganization

Hi,

I plan to reorganize a little bit the source code, to make it more modular.

-jakarta-slide
 -docs : generated website
 -lib : probably useless
 -src
  -conf : default config files
  -doc : XML source doc and stylesheets
  -etc : Licence, etc
  -examples
  -manager : The manager servlet will go here
  -proposals : Any "revolutionary" component which someone wants to develop
will start its life here, so that it doesn't affect / break the main tree
  -schema : XML schemas and DTDs used by Slide (needs to be updated, BTW)
  -share : The Slide core
  -stores : Various stores implementations
  -webdav
   -client : The WebDAV client will be moved here
   -server : The WebDAV servlet will be moved here

The change will happen either today or tomorrow if I don't get negative
comments.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Remy

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Dave Bryson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I plan to reorganize a little bit the source code, to make it more
modular.

> > > -jakarta-slide
> > >  -docs : generated website
> > >  -lib : probably useless
> >
> > Why not add the required jars to CVS
> > instead of requiring people to download
> > each separately? This may help newbies get started
> > quicker and keep the CVS tree synched with the version
> > of external libraries.
> >

> In general, having JAR files (or any generated output, for that matter) in
the
> CVS tree causes many more problems than it solves.  This most often shows
up when
> the dependent package releases a new version, and/or when the developer
already
> has the package in question installed, and wants to use their own version.
>
> In general, developers building from CVS sources directly are assumed to
be more
> comfortable with downloading dependent packages and setting up class
paths, etc.
> For the more casual user, the right answer would be to create
distributions that
> contain all the required stuff.  This is what Tomcat does, for example --
the
> binary distribution includes the XML parser, so you don't have to download
it
> (although you can replace it if you want).

The only two dependencies right now are :
- The servlet 2.2 API to run the servlet. Of course, the servlet container
you'll use needs that too, so chances are it's not a problem ;)
- JAXP 1.0, which is needed for a lot of Jakarta projects

Remy

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Dave Bryson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan to reorganize a little bit the source code, to make it more modular.
> >
> > -jakarta-slide
> >  -docs : generated website
> >  -lib : probably useless
>
> Why not add the required jars to CVS
> instead of requiring people to download
> each separately? This may help newbies get started
> quicker and keep the CVS tree synched with the version
> of external libraries.

In general, having JAR files (or any generated output, for that matter) in the
CVS tree causes many more problems than it solves.  This most often shows up when
the dependent package releases a new version, and/or when the developer already
has the package in question installed, and wants to use their own version.

In general, developers building from CVS sources directly are assumed to be more
comfortable with downloading dependent packages and setting up class paths, etc.
For the more casual user, the right answer would be to create distributions that
contain all the required stuff.  This is what Tomcat does, for example -- the
binary distribution includes the XML parser, so you don't have to download it
(although you can replace it if you want).

> Just a thought, otherwise the rest looks great!
>
> dave bryson

Craig McClanahan

Re: Code reorganization

Posted by Dave Bryson <da...@www1.kc.aoindustries.com>.