Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Frédéric Moser <fr...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/08 19:50:13 UTC

Re: Cocoon development on Mac OS X (or Linux PPC?)

Hi,

I use Cocoon on a G4 800Mhz with 512 of RAM and I got the latest  Mac
OS X and JVM.
Today, I can't stand it  anymore: memory usage, slowness and annoying
things like this:
http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/howto/More-open-files.html . I don't
think Java IDE integrate very well with Mac OS X too.
(I still like Apple's products but not for Java development)

So my question is:
Does anyone have experience of using Cocoon on Linux PPC with the
IBM's JDK (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/)?

Thanks,

Frédéric Moser

Re: Cocoon development on Mac OS X (or Linux PPC?)

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Frédéric Moser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Cocoon on a G4 800Mhz with 512 of RAM and I got the latest  Mac
> OS X and JVM.
> Today, I can't stand it  anymore: memory usage, slowness and annoying
> things like this:

I have a Powerbook g4 1.5GHZ with 512MB ram, and it's definitely not
enough for doing lots of memory-hungry development.  Even without
Eclipse running, I only have about 25-40MB of physical ram free.  I did
just order another 512MB for my system, so hopefully that will make
things better.

> http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/howto/More-open-files.html . I don't
> think Java IDE integrate very well with Mac OS X too.
> (I still like Apple's products but not for Java development)
>
> So my question is:
> Does anyone have experience of using Cocoon on Linux PPC with the
> IBM's JDK (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/)?

I've never used Linux PPC, so I can't comment. I'd definitely try adding
ram to your system if you can afford it.

Tony

Re: Cocoon development on Mac OS X (or Linux PPC?)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Well,

I run Linux on a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory and am at times
unhappy with performance.  Mostly because I run IntelliJ, Tomcat,
Cocoon, Weblogic and a bunch of other apps at the same time.  From the
info I've seen, your G4 is about equivalent to a 1.6 Ghz P4 so I'm not
sure you're going to be a whole lot happier runing in Linux vs Mac OS X.

Personally, I'd never run Java stuff with less that 1GB of memory anymore.

Ralph