Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org> on 2015/08/14 17:32:09 UTC

Live upgrade safe?

Can I safely upgrade SA from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 without changing any local
configuration files, and without regenerating the Bayes database?  (I
use the default bdb Bayes store.)

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 11.09.2015 um 18:05 schrieb Ian Zimmerman:

>>> Isn't this a contradiction?  If my distribution automatically restarts
>>> (which it does), how can I sneak in a sa-update run after the upgrade
>>> but before the restart?
>>
>> i hope you have a testing environment for production and so just make
>> the "sa-update" there and rsync the rule-updates to the liveserver
>
> I appreciate you trying to help, but you don't really answer my
> question.  Even if I could do what you suggest, the rsync would still
> take finite time - longer than the interval between the upgrade and the
> restart on the production system.

no, you don't need to change anything else

in most setups regenerate bayes would even be impossible because you
don't have the autolearned messages to do so

if you have your whole corpus (like we do) you should rebuild the bayes
again from the samples - especially if you are using "normalize_charset
1" and possibly to make "bayes_token_sources all" if you chose to use it
also benefit from the older samples but there is no need to do so, the
old bayes don't become useles

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 11.09.2015 um 18:12 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> Ian Zimmerman skrev den 2015-09-11 18:05:
>
>> I appreciate you trying to help, but you don't really answer my
>> question.  Even if I could do what you suggest, the rsync would still
>> take finite time - longer than the interval between the upgrade and the
>> restart on the production system.
>
> if you recently upgraded:
>
> sa-update
> ... more sa-update if you use custom channels
> sa-compile
>
> restart spamd or other glues
>
> sa-compile is only need if you use the plugin
>
> put it all in a bash file and run whenever its needed in cron, but not
> more then daily

there is no reason to fiddle around with cron, on distributions with as
you call it "precompiled problems" it's taken care that:

a) sa-update runs once per day
b) on a random timeframe to not overload upstream servers
    compared all installations doing it at the same moment
c) restart the service *only* if there where updates

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 14.09.2015 um 20:13 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

>> Am 14.09.2015 um 17:25 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>> in such case it's up to the distributions' maintainer to:
>>> - provide static rules in the (maybe separate) package
>>> - to warn user that he must immediately get new rules or the SA won't
>>> work
>
> On 14.09.15 18:40, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> it is a SA 3.4.1 bug that it don't start when
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ while the package ships the static
>> rules in /usr/share/spamassassin/
>
>> with the original 3.4.0 setup it started just fine before sa-update as
>> i installed all that stuff a year ago
>>
>> if you would have followed the thread before response you would know
>> that already
>
> I see this particular information for the first time.
> Maybe you could point me to proper place in the archive?
> Or maybe you could be more specific instead of blame everyone for
> everything?

Betreff: Re: Live upgrade safe?
Datum: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 01:44:25 +0200
Von: Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>
An: users@spamassassin.apache.org

Am 14.09.2015 um 01:41 schrieb Reindl Harald:

 > Am 14.09.2015 um 01:35 schrieb Greg Troxel:
 >> Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> writes:
 >>
 >>> RPM packages are not supposed to contact network *3rd party*
 >>> ressources at install time and when you think 1 second you know why -
 >>> who tells you that the 3rd party ressource is available at that moment
 >>> and how handle errors and bugreports when it fails?
 >>>
 >>> that will never happen in a distribution package - no idea why you
 >>> think we need to discuss that or even you can consider something as
 >>> bug when you obviously have no expierience with distributions..
 >>
 >> In pkgsrc, it is also considered a bug for a package installation to use
 >> the net.   Our spamassassin package doesn't, and users have to run
 >> sa-update before starting it after upgrades.   This seems broken to me;
 >> it seems that a release should come with rules, even if we know that
 >> people should be updating to more modern ones.   This seems to be a
 >> recent change; I don't remember getting bit by it until just now.
 >
 > it *comes* with rules but at least with 3.4.1 there where crashes
 > without reported running "sa-update", there are always the default
 > scores and rules besides /var/lib/spamassassin

here you go - /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ empty and it fails to start

[root@testserver:~]$ rm -rf /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/*
[root@testserver:~]$ systemctl restart spamassassin.service
[root@testserver:~]$ cat messages
Sep 14 01:00:31 testserver systemd: Stopping Spamassassin Daemon...
Sep 14 01:00:31 testserver systemd: Starting Spamassassin Daemon...
Sep 14 01:00:31 testserver systemd: Started Spamassassin Daemon.
Sep 14 01:37:00 testserver su: (to builduser) root on pts/1
Sep 14 01:42:43 testserver systemd: Stopping Spamassassin Daemon...
Sep 14 01:42:43 testserver systemd: Starting Spamassassin Daemon...
Sep 14 01:42:43 testserver systemd: Started Spamassassin Daemon.
Sep 14 01:42:44 testserver systemd: spamassassin.service: main process
exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
Sep 14 01:42:44 testserver systemd: Unit spamassassin.service entered
failed state.
Sep 14 01:42:44 testserver systemd: spamassassin.service failed.
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: spamassassin.service holdoff time
over, scheduling restart.
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: Starting Spamassassin Daemon...
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: Started Spamassassin Daemon.
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: spamassassin.service: main process
exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: Unit spamassassin.service entered
failed state.
Sep 14 01:42:45 testserver systemd: spamassassin.service failed.
[root@testserver:~]$

after "sa-update" all is fine

[root@testserver:~]$ sa-update
[root@testserver:~]$ systemctl restart spamassassin.service
[root@testserver:~]$ systemctl status spamassassin.service
● spamassassin.service - Spamassassin Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/spamassassin.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Mo 2015-09-14 01:43:47 CEST; 10s ago
Process: 103996 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/find /var/lib/spamassassin/
-type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} ; (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 103991 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/find /var/lib/spamassassin/
-type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} ; (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 104066 (spamd)

> [...]
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/10_default_prefs.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/10_hasbase.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_advance_fee.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_aux_tlds.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_body_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_compensate.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_drugs.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_dynrdns.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_fake_helo_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_freemail.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_freemail_domains.cf
 > spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/20_freemail_mailcom_domains.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_head_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_html_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_imageinfo.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_mailspike.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_meta_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_net_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_pdfinfo.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_phrases.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_porn.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_ratware.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_uri_tests.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/20_vbounce.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/23_bayes.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_accessdb.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_antivirus.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_asn.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_dcc.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_dkim.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_hashcash.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_pyzor.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_razor2.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_replace.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_spf.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_textcat.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_de.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_fr.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_it.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_nl.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_pl.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_pt_br.cf
 > spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf
/usr/share/spamassassin/60_adsp_override_dkim.cf

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Antony Stone <An...@spamassassin.open.source.it>.
On Wednesday 16 September 2015 at 10:32:55, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> you are so much more personally abusive as anybody else
> >
> > I'm not half as much an abusive arsehole as you are

Will you two please take this cat fight somewhere else?

This list is for discussing problems, and helping people, with spamassassin.

Thank you,

Antony.

--
The gravitational attraction exerted by a single doctor at a distance of 6
inches is roughly twice that of Jupiter at its closest point to the Earth.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 17.09.2015 um 01:45 schrieb Nick Edwards:
> also I wonder why an unbound user joins the bind list

because some people are smart enough to use different software for
different usecases as unbound for caching-only servers and named for
autoritative nameservers and for some usecases like routers even dnsmasq?

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.
lol I KNEW youd that cause you just cant help yourself, trying to draw
attention away from yourself, but thats OK every person whos come
across you knows better,  a simple google of your name shows an
immense number of your vitriol  on many many lists.

the bannings youve had from many many lists shows a pattern of abuse,
it takes a bit to piss off Weitse, but you managed to do it and even
he banned you from postfix list, not to mention some of the centos and
fedora lists, roundcube, dovecot, youve even had a warning in here
from Karsten,  also I wonder why an unbound user joins the bind list,
given time youll be booted from there too because you cant help
yourself, youve been at it for years

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2013-May/011984.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/430887
https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/6
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/527924

I could go on but id be here all month, and next month, and the month after

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 9/15/15, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> I see this particular information for the first time.
>>> Maybe you could point me to proper place in the archive?
>>> Or maybe you could be more specific instead of blame everyone for
>>> everything?

>>> the fact you don't feel being rude does not mean you are not.
>>
>> Rude, arrogant, abusive, and obnoxious is all he knows, he's been
>> kicked off many many mailing lists, and spends most his time here now
>> Timo has finally moderated him on dovecot list, he has a huge track
>> record of thinking he's not a bully and does nothing wrong, you only
>> need 30 seconds of google to see otherwise.
>
> don't remember that i asked *you* especially after you are so much more
> personally abusive as anybody else - the list of your personal attacks
> is bookmarked, so don't play saint and shut up

what  a dreamland you live in, I'm not half as much an abusive
arsehole as you are, and google shows it, despite any links you want
to post to this list, google shows EVERYTHING, not only what you hope
people will read but EVERYTHING

How many lists has I been moderated?  ONE - dovecot and thats for
calling you out as the wanker you are, how many lists have you been
moderated on? 6? 7 now with dovecot

How many lists have I been kicked off?  NONE, how many have you been
kicked off? at least one that I know of, maybe two, or was it you left
the fedora list because they refused to unmoderate you, cant recall,
dont care

like I said  the evidence speaks for itself
only you can change your attitude but since you dont think you do any
wrong, snowlfakes in hell before you admit fault.

So, that alone says it all.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.

>>Am 14.09.2015 um 17:25 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>>in such case it's up to the distributions' maintainer to:
>>>- provide static rules in the (maybe separate) package
>>>- to warn user that he must immediately get new rules or the SA won't
>>> work
>
> On 14.09.15 18:40, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>it is a SA 3.4.1 bug that it don't start when
>>/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ while the package ships the static
>>rules in /usr/share/spamassassin/
>
>>with the original 3.4.0 setup it started just fine before sa-update
>>as i installed all that stuff a year ago
>>
>>if you would have followed the thread before response you would know
>>that already
>
> I see this particular information for the first time.
> Maybe you could point me to proper place in the archive?
> Or maybe you could be more specific instead of blame everyone for
> everything?
>
>> - and no that is not rude, you have no idea how i sound
>>if i start to get rude
>
> the fact you don't feel being rude does not mean you are not.

Rude, arrogant, abusive, and obnoxious is all he knows, he's been
kicked off many many mailing lists, and spends most his time here now
Timo has finally moderated him on dovecot list, he has a huge track
record of thinking he's not a bully and does nothing wrong, you only
need 30 seconds of google to see otherwise.

Though he has tamed it down a lot in recent months, probably because
he realizes finally he's running out of mailing lists to post on.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>>>and no, i am not the package maintainer but the first person who would
>>>file a bug for *any* package which rely on a internet connection due
>>>update

>Am 14.09.2015 um 17:25 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>in such case it's up to the distributions' maintainer to:
>>- provide static rules in the (maybe separate) package
>>- to warn user that he must immediately get new rules or the SA won't work

On 14.09.15 18:40, Reindl Harald wrote:
>it is a SA 3.4.1 bug that it don't start when
>/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ while the package ships the static
>rules in /usr/share/spamassassin/

>with the original 3.4.0 setup it started just fine before sa-update
>as i installed all that stuff a year ago
>
>if you would have followed the thread before response you would know
>that already

I see this particular information for the first time.
Maybe you could point me to proper place in the archive?
Or maybe you could be more specific instead of blame everyone for
everything?

> - and no that is not rude, you have no idea how i sound
>if i start to get rude

the fact you don't feel being rude does not mean you are not.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
>> and no, i am not the package maintainer but the first person who would
>> file a bug for *any* package which rely on a internet connection due
>> update
>
> in such case it's up to the distributions' maintainer to:
> - provide static rules in the (maybe separate) package
> - to warn user that he must immediately get new rules or the SA won't work

it is a SA 3.4.1 bug that it don't start when
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ while the package ships the static rules
in /usr/share/spamassassin/

with the original 3.4.0 setup it started just fine before sa-update as i
installed all that stuff a year ago

if you would have followed the thread before response you would know
that already - and no that is not rude, you have no idea how i sound if
i start to get rude

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 12.09.15 19:18, Reindl Harald wrote:
>can we stop that stupid discussion?

I just wanted to point out that different distributions have different
policy (and also that you should stop to be rude to others...).

>Fedora/RHEL don't and never will - for obvious reasons - period
>
>and no, i am not the package maintainer but the first person who
>would file a bug for *any* package which rely on a internet
>connection due update

in such case it's up to the distributions' maintainer to:
- provide static rules in the (maybe separate) package
- to warn user that he must immediately get new rules or the SA won't work.

most of distributions install updates via network and if that happens, it
should not be a problem to connect to network at the install time or from
the (daily) crontab

still, i would consider not installing rules but restarting the SA daemon
(no matter if from pkg hooks) much worse bug than connecting to the network
to get fresh rules.
However, YMMV.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>>On 12.09.15 15:27, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>and the package maintainer will tell you it should be considered as
>>>bug upstream when updates from the network are mandatory - no package
>>>does that and SA can also be sueful on machines without a internet
>>>connection working with local files and corpus

>Am 12.09.2015 um 16:08 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>did this really happen?

On 12.09.15 16:13, Reindl Harald wrote:
>what did really happen?
>
>RPM packages are not supposed to contact network *3rd party*
>ressources at install time and when you think 1 second you know why -
>who tells you that the 3rd party ressource is available at that
>moment and how handle errors and bugreports when it fails?
>
>that will never happen in a distribution package - no idea why you
>think we need to discuss that or even you can consider something as
>bug when you obviously have no expierience with distributions..

funny, at least debian SA package does download updates at install time...
you obviously have no experience with distributions...

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On September 14, 2015 2:25:19 AM Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:

> you are talking bullshit!

what ?

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 14.09.2015 um 02:17 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> Greg Troxel skrev den 2015-09-14 01:35:
>> I don't remember getting bit by it until just now.
>
> ask your self, what will happend if you upgraded rpm package that is
> possible new in the rpm repos, but cointains also the rules that are
> old, and you daily have used sa-update via cron, do you then like to
> have the new rules from rpm, or sa-update rules ?

you are talking bullshit!

/var/lib/spamassassin overrides /usr/share and guess what the default
rules and scores are also present when you don't use RPM

> i can give another example of so called brokken rpm, but i stop here,
> clamav had also old main.cvd and daily.cvd that maked the tarball very
> big for gentoo users to just update the source to new version, the
> compiled tbz2 file was less size then the tarball, hmm

guess what the "clamav-data-empty-0.98.7-1.fc21.noarch" package is

> i think spamassassin olso have learned a lesson here :=)
> think one more time, it does matter

i suggest you think before talking about things you have no diea that often

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

> [...]

> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/72_active.cf
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/72_scores.cf
> spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/73_sandbox_manual_scores.cf
> spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/STATISTICS-set0-72_scores.cf.txt
> spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/STATISTICS-set1-72_scores.cf.txt
> spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/STATISTICS-set2-72_scores.cf.txt
> spamassassin /usr/share/spamassassin/STATISTICS-set3-72_scores.cf.txt
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/languages
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/local.cf
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/regression_tests.cf
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update-pubkey.txt
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/sa-update.cron
> spamassassin              /usr/share/spamassassin/user_prefs.template

the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
m: +43 (676) 40 221 40, p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

>> Am 12.09.2015 um 15:24 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>> then it (not calling sa-update) should be considered a bug in
>>> installation
>>> scripts...
>
> On 12.09.15 15:27, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> and the package maintainer will tell you it should be considered as
>> bug upstream when updates from the network are mandatory - no package
>> does that and SA can also be sueful on machines without a internet
>> connection working with local files and corpus
>
> did this really happen?

what did really happen?

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

>>On 12.09.15 04:20, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>no, the service restarts are usually rpm-macros in the %post section
>>>and not invoke sa-update

>Am 12.09.2015 um 15:24 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>then it (not calling sa-update) should be considered a bug in installation
>>scripts...

On 12.09.15 15:27, Reindl Harald wrote:
>and the package maintainer will tell you it should be considered as
>bug upstream when updates from the network are mandatory - no package
>does that and SA can also be sueful on machines without a internet
>connection working with local files and corpus

did this really happen?

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>Am 11.09.2015 um 21:08 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>if your distribution restarts spamassassin, it will most probably download
>>the rules before. Not everyone uses distributions...

On 12.09.15 04:20, Reindl Harald wrote:
>no, the service restarts are usually rpm-macros in the %post section
>and not invoke sa-update

then it (not calling sa-update) should be considered a bug in installation
scripts...

"They say when you play that M$ CD backward you can hear satanic messages."
"That's nothing. If you play it forward it will install Windows."

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

>> >Can I safely upgrade SA from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 without changing any local
>> >configuration files, and without regenerating the Bayes database?  (I
>> >use the default bdb Bayes store.)

>On 2015-08-14 17:45 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> yes, but you need to run "sa-update" before restart to fetch the
>> latest rules and hopefully have a distribution which restarts
>> automatically after update the package

On 11.09.15 08:21, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>Isn't this a contradiction?  If my distribution automatically restarts
>(which it does), how can I sneak in a sa-update run after the upgrade
>but before the restart?

if your distribution restarts spamassassin, it will most probably download
the rules before.
Not everyone uses distributions...
It's now safe to throw off your computer.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 11.09.2015 um 17:54 schrieb RW:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:21:15 -0700
> Ian Zimmerman wrote:

>>> yes, but you need to run "sa-update" before restart to fetch the
>>> latest rules and hopefully have a distribution which restarts
>>> automatically after update the package
>>
>> Isn't this a contradiction?  If my distribution automatically restarts
>> (which it does), how can I sneak in a sa-update run after the upgrade
>> but before the restart?
>
> You need a restart to run the new software or pickup new rules. You
> don't need to avoid a restart between a package update and a rule
> update.

i saw spamassassin just crash after upgrade on Fedora before
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/ was filled by sa-update and i remember
at least one post on this list observing the same problem on a different
environment

> If you are running sa-update from cron you  don't really need to run it
> manually unless you are updating from a very old version that didn't
> support sa-update or no longer receives updates

you are aware that the previous version don't matter

3.4.1 uses /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004001/
3.4.0 uses /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004000/

so it is *completly* irrelevant from which version you upgrade

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Ian Zimmerman skrev den 2015-09-11 17:21:

> Isn't this a contradiction?  If my distribution automatically restarts
> (which it does), how can I sneak in a sa-update run after the upgrade
> but before the restart?

ask the precompiled problem maintainer, not here, your packege is not
doing well if that part misses

Re: Live upgrade safe?

Posted by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org>.

Re: Live upgrade safe?